Monetary Implications of Cross-Border Derivatives for Emerging Economies
AbstractThis paper surveys concepts, practices and analytical literature to assess benefits and risks for monetary stability of cross-border currency and interest rate derivative operations in calm and turbulent periods, with a view of extracting implications for emerging economies. Monetary authorities must prevent one-sided positions in the currency, favor asset substitutability, and incorporate the enriched information set provided by derivative-based transactions into monetary policy design. In some circumstances, the use of derivatives by monetary authorities may help fulfill this role. By contrast, surcharges to compensate for a downward impact of derivatives on the cost of capital appear neither advisable nor necessary.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 01/58.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-FMK-2006-07-02 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2006-07-02 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2006-07-02 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2006-07-02 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Esteban Gómez & Diego Vásquez & Camilo Zea, 2005.
"Derivative Markets' Impact On Colombian Monetary Policy,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
002277, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Esteban Gómez & Diego Vásquez & Camilo Zea, . "Derivative Markets' Impact on Colombian Monetary Policy," Borradores de Economia 334, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Chiara Oldani, 2005. "An Overview of the Literature about Derivatives," Macroeconomics 0504004, EconWPA.
- L. Arturo Bernal Ponce & Francisco Venegas Martínez, 2011. "Impacto de los productos derivados los objetivos de política monetaria: un modelo de equilibrio general," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 26(2), pages 187-216.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.