Competitiveness and the Equilibrium Exchange Rate in Costa Rica
AbstractThis paper evaluates several indicators of external vulnerability and estimates the equilibrium real exchange rate for Costa Rica. While current indicators are mostly positive, declining market shares of domestic exports, the expected decline in foreign direct investment, and the desirability of strengthening the reserve position recommend an improvement in the current account. Costa Rica’s equilibrium real exchange rate is then estimated using the CGER and the FEER methodologies. The overall conclusion is that while there are no signs of serious external vulnerability, the real exchange rate appears to be somewhat overvalued, a situation that would be best addressed through increased fiscal discipline.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 01/23.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cheng, Fuzhi & Orden, David, 2005. "Exchange rate misalignment and its effects on agricultural producer support estimates," MTID discussion papers 81, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lendjoungou, Francis, 2009. "Competitiveness and the real exchange rate: the standpoint of countries in the CEMAC zone," MPRA Paper 17053, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eva Gutierrez, 2006. "Export Performance and External Competitiveness in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia," IMF Working Papers 06/261, International Monetary Fund.
- John Cady, 2003. "The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate of the Malagasy Franc," IMF Working Papers 03/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Shumilov, Andrei & Sosunov, Kirill, 2005.
"Оценивание Равновесного Реального Обменного Курса Российского Рубля
[Estimation of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate for Russia]," MPRA Paper 42978, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leon, Jorge & Mendez, Eduardo & Prado, Eduardo, 2003.
"El Tipo de Cambio Real de Costa Rica
[Real Exchange Rate of Costa Rica]," MPRA Paper 44509, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2003.
- Sosunov, K. & Ushakov, N., 2009. "Determination of the Real Exchange Rate of the Ruble and Assessment of Long-Run Policy of Real Exchange Rate Targeting," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 3-4, pages 97-121.
- Sossounov, Kirill & Ushakov, Nikolay, 2009. "Determination of the real exchange rate of rouble and assessment of long-rum policy of real exchange rate targeting," MPRA Paper 18549, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Todd Schneider & Nabil Ben Ltaifa & Faisal Ahmed & Saade Chami, 2007. "Yemen," IMF Working Papers 07/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Cheng, Fuzhi & Orden, David, 2005. "Exchange Rate Misalignment and Its Effects on Agricultural Producer Support Estimates: Empirical Evidence from India and China," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19121, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Aziz Hayat & Bahodir Ganiev & Xueli Tang, 2012. "Expectations of future income and real exchange rate movements," Financial Econometics Series 2012_05, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Hayat, Aziz & Ganiev, Bahodir & Tang, Xueli, 2013. "Expectations of future income and real exchange rate movements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1274-1285.
- Leon, Jorge & Laverde, Bernal & Duran, Rodolfo, 2002.
"Pass Through del Tipo de Cambio en los Precios de Bienes Transables y No Transables en Costa Rica
[Exchange Rate Pass Through into the Prices of Tradable and Non Tradable Goods in Costa Rica]," MPRA Paper 44527, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2002.
- Rodrigo Caputo G. & Igal Magendzo, 2009. "Do Exchange Rate Regimes Matter For Inflation And Exchange Rate Dynamics? The Case Of Central America," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 517, Central Bank of Chile.
- Ken Miyajima, 2007. "What Do We Know About Namibia's Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 07/191, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2003. "The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate in a Commodity Exporting Country," IMF Working Papers 03/93, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.