From Crisis to Recovery in Korea
AbstractThis paper reviews and draws lessons from the stabilization and reform program that Korea implemented in response to the 1997-98 crisis. The economy recovered quickly from the deep recession in 1998 and its vulnerability to a balance of payments crisis has been reduced sharply. Significant progress has also been made in stabilizing the financial system and addressing corporate distress, and wide-ranging reforms have made Korea’s economy more open, competitive, and market driven. Notwithstanding these achievements, more needs to be done before the soundness of the corporate and financial sectors is firmly established.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 01/154.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joshua Aizenman & Kenneth M. Kletzer & Brian Pinto, 2002.
"Sargent-Wallace Meets Krugman-Flood-Garber, or: Why Sovereign Debt Swaps Don't Avert Macroeconomic Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
9190, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman & Kenneth M. Kletzer & Brian Pinto, 2005. "Sargent-Wallace meets Krugman-Flood-Garber, or: why sovereign debt swaps do not avert macroeconomic crises," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(503), pages 343-367, 04.
- Se-Jik Kim, 2004. "Timing of International Bailouts," IMF Working Papers 04/9, International Monetary Fund.
- Pritha Mitra, 2006. "Post-Crisis Recovery," IMF Working Papers 06/219, International Monetary Fund.
- Se-Jik Kim, 2003. "Macro Effects of Corporate Restructuring in Japan," IMF Working Papers 03/203, International Monetary Fund.
- Marcus Noland, 2005.
"South Korea's Experience with International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
11381, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcus Noland, 2007. "South Korea's Experience with International Capital Flows," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Controls and Capital Flows in Emerging Economies: Policies, Practices and Consequences, pages 481-528 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcus Noland, 2005. "South Korea's Experience with International Capital Flows," Working Paper Series WP05-4, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Liu, Wan-Chun & Hsu, Chen-Min, 2006. "The role of financial development in economic growth: The experiences of Taiwan, Korea, and Japan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 667-690, October.
- Kibritcioglu, Aykut, 2002. "Excessive Risk-Taking, Banking Sector Fragility, and Banking Crises," Working Papers 02-0114, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- Ashoka Mody & Se-Jik Kim, 2004. "Managing Confidence in Emerging Market Bank Runs," IMF Working Papers 04/235, International Monetary Fund.
- Simon Johnson & Andrei Shleifer, 2004. "Privatization and Corporate Governance," NBER Chapters, in: Governance, Regulation, and Privatization in the Asia-Pacific Region, NBER East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 12, pages 13-34 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Udaibir S. Das & Richard Podpiera & Nigel Davies, 2003. "Insurance and Issues in Financial Soundness," IMF Working Papers 03/138, International Monetary Fund.
- Saibal Ghosh, 2005. "Does leverage influence banks' non-performing loans? Evidence from India," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(15), pages 913-918.
- Bacha, Obiyathulla I., 2004. "Lessons from East Asia's Crisis and Recovery," MPRA Paper 12759, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aykut Kibritcioglu, 2002. "Monitoring Banking Sector Fragility," Macroeconomics 0206004, EconWPA, revised 05 Apr 2004.
- Hong, Kiseok & Lee, Jong-Wha & Lee, Young Soo, 2007. "Investment by Korean conglomerates before and after the crisis," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 347-373, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.