Rationing Rules and Outcomes
AbstractSince 1990, Singapore has sought to control motor vehicle ownership by means of an auction quota system, whereby prospective vehicle buyers need to obtain a quota license before they can make their purchase. This paper assesses the success of the vehicle quota system in meeting its objectives of stability in motor vehicle growth, flexibility in the motor vehicle mix, and equity among motor vehicle buyers. Two important implementation issues-quota subcategorization and license transferability-are highlighted, and policy lessons are drawn for the design of auction quotas in general.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 01/136.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krishna, Kala & Tan, Ling Hui, 1999. "Transferable Licenses versus Nontransferable Licenses: What Is the Difference?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 785-800, August.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Palmquist, Raymond, 1980. "The Interpretation of Dummy Variables in Semilogarithmic Equations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 474-75, June.
- Ginsburgh, V. & Weber, S., .
"On the efficiency of retaliation rules in international trade,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1281, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Victor GINSBURGH & Shlomo WEBER, 1997. "On the Efficiency of Retaliation Rules in International Trade," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 47, pages 51-63.
- Victor Ginsburgh & Shlomo Weber, 1997. "On the efficiency of retaliation rules in international trade," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1711, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Phang, Sock-Yong & Wong, Wing-Keung & Chia, Ngee-Choon, 1996. "Singapore's experience with car quotas : Issues and policy processes," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 145-153, October.
- Kala KRISHNA & Ling Hui TAN, 1997. "A Note on India's MFA Quota Allocation System: The Effects of Subcategorization," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 47, pages 39-50.
- Ngee-Choon Chia & Albert K C Tsui & John Whalley, 2001. "Ownership and Use Taxes as Congestion Correcting Instruments," NBER Working Papers 8278, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Swan, Peter L, 1970. "Durability of Consumption Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 884-94, December.
- Carlos Alfredo Rodriguez, 1979. "The Quality of Imports and the Differential Welfare Effects of Tariffs, Quotas, and Quality Controls as Protective Devices," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 439-49, August.
- Chu, Sing-Fat & Koh, Winston T. H. & Tse, Yiu Kuen, 2004.
"Expectations formation and forecasting of vehicle demand: an empirical study of the vehicle quota auctions in Singapore,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 367-381, June.
- Sing-Fat Chu & Winston T.H. Koh & Yiu Kuen Tse, 2003. "Expectations Formation and Forecasting of Vehicle Demand: An Empirical Study of the Vehicle Quota Auctions in Singapore," Working Papers 02-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Winston T.H. Koh, 2004.
"Congestion Control and Vehicle Ownership Restriction: The Choice of an Optimal Quota Policy,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(3), pages 371-402, September.
- Winston T.H. Koh, 2003. "Congestion Control and Vehicle Ownership Restriction: The Choice of an Optimal Quota Policy," Working Papers 03-2004, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Koh, Winston T. H., 2003. "Control of vehicle ownership and market competition: theory and Singapore's experience with the vehicle quota system," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 749-770, November.
- Wang, Rui, 2010. "Shaping urban transport policies in China: Will copying foreign policies work?," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 147-152, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.