Reserve Pooling in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union and the CFA Franc Zone
AbstractThe paper presents a comparison of the gains from the pooling of reserves, and hence reserve variability, in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union (ECCU) and the CFA franc zone. The results indicate that countries within the ECCU area have achieved greater balance of payments protection than the CFA zone countries from the pooling of reserves. Unanticipated changes in the terms of trade lowered reserves in the CFA relative to the ECCU, which may reflect a greater reliance on primary commodities in the CFA compared with services in the ECCU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 01/104.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernesto HernÃ¡ndez-CatÃ¡ & C. A. FranÃ§ois, 1998. "The West African Economic and Monetary Union," IMF Occasional Papers 170, International Monetary Fund.
- Stasavage, David, 1997. "The CFA Franc Zone and Fiscal Discipline," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 6(1), pages 132-67, March.
- Seraphin Fouda & David Stasavage, 2000. "The CFA Franc Zone After EMU: Status Quo, Reform, or Dissolution?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 221-233, 02.
- Hong Liang & C. John McDermott & Paul Cashin, 1999.
"How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?,"
IMF Working Papers
99/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Cashin & Hong Liang & C. John McDermott, 2000. "How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 2.
- Hamada, Koichi & Ueda, Kazuo, 1977. "Random Walks and the Theory of the Optimal International Reserves," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(348), pages 722-42, December.
- Lizondo, JoseSaul & Mathieson, Donald J., 1987. "The stability of the demand for international reserves," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 251-282, September.
- John F. O. Bilson & Jacob A. Frenkel, 1979. "Dynamic Adjustment and the Demand for International Reserves," NBER Working Papers 0407, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ng, Yew-Kwang, 1973. "The Economic Theory of Clubs: Pareto Optimality Conditions," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 40(159), pages 291-98, August.
- Paul Cashin & Catherine A. Pattillo, 2000. "Terms of Trade Shocks in Africa," IMF Working Papers 00/72, International Monetary Fund.
- Brahim Razgallah, 2004. "La théorie des ZMO s'applique-t-elle aux pays en développement?," International Finance 0403003, EconWPA.
- Suman S. Basu & Ran Bi & Prakash Kannan, 2010.
"Regional reserve pooling arrangements,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Oct.
- Romain Veyrune, 2007. "Fixed Exchange Rates and the Autonomy of Monetary Policy," IMF Working Papers 07/34, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2006.
"Insurance Underwriter or Financial Development Fund: What Role for Reserve Pooling in Latin America?,"
NBER Working Papers
12451, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2007. "Insurance Underwriter or Financial Development Fund: What Role for Reserve Pooling in Latin America?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 27-52, February.
- Ramkishen Rajan & Reza Siregar & Graham Bird, 2003.
"Examining the case for Reserve Pooling in East Asia: Empirical Analysis,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers
2003-23, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Ramkishen S. Rajan & Reza Y. Siregar & Graham Bird, 2010. "Examining The Case For Reserve Pooling In East Asia: Empirical Analysis," Working Papers id:2679, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.