Depositor Behavior and Market Discipline in Colombia
AbstractThis study examines how depositors choose among different banks and over time in Colombia, focusing on whether they discipline bank behavior. By controlling for a more comprehensive set of risk/return factors, the study improves upon conventional market discipline tests. Panel data estimations for 1985-99 show that depositors prefer banks with stronger fundamentals, and that banks tend to improve their fundamentals after being “punished” by depositors. Banks with stronger fundamentals benefit from lower interest costs and higher lending rates. Market (or “regulatory”) discipline therefore appears to exist in Colombia, perhaps thanks to certain key design features of the deposit insurance scheme.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 00/214.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sergio L. Schmukler & Eduardo Levy-Yeyati & Maria Soledad Martinez Peria, 2004.
"Market Discipline under Systemic Risk: Evidence from Bank Runs in Emerging Economies,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings
318, Econometric Society.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2004. "Market discipline under systemic risk - evidence from bank runs in emerging economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3440, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Maria Soledad Martinez Peria & Sergio Schmukler, 2004. "Market Discipline under Systemic Risk: Evidence from Bank Runs in Emerging Economies," Business School Working Papers systemicrisk, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Abhiman Das & Saibal Ghosh, 2004. "Market Discipline In The Indian Banking Sector: An Empirical Exploration," Finance 0410020, EconWPA.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski, Oskar & Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2012.
"Market Discipline during Crisis: Evidence from Bank Depositors in Transition Countries,"
43693, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski, Oskar & Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2013. "Market discipline during crisis: Evidence from bank depositors in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5436-5451.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski , Oskar & Kozlowski , Lukasz, 2013. "Market discipline during crisis: Evidence from bank depositors in transition countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 21/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Önder, Zeynep & Özyildirim, Süheyla, 2008. "Market Reaction to Risky Banks: Did Generous Deposit Guarantee Change It?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1415-1435, August.
- Kathleen McDill & Andrea M. Maechler, 2003. "Dynamic Depositor Discipline in U.S. Banks," IMF Working Papers 03/226, International Monetary Fund.
- Adolfo Barajas & Mario CatalÃ¡n, 2011. "Market Discipline and Conflicts of Interest Between Banks and Pension Funds," IMF Working Papers 11/282, International Monetary Fund.
- Juan Carlos Echeverry Garzón & Ángela María Fonseca Galvis, 2005. "The Social Impact of the Banking Sector in Colombia, 1995 – 2002," DEGIT Conference Papers c010_039, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Disli, Mustafa & Schoors, Koen & Meir, Jos, 2013.
"Political connections and depositor discipline,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 804-819.
- M. Disli & K. Schoors & J. Meir, 2012. "Political connections and depositor discipline," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/781, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Disli, Mustafa & Schoors , Koen & Meir, Jos, 2013. "Political connections and depositor discipline," BOFIT Discussion Papers 6/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Günther, Susanne, 2014. "Die Vermeidung von Bank Runs und der Erhalt von Marktdisziplin: Das Dilemma der Bankenregulierung?," Arbeitspapiere 142, Westfälsche Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU), Institut für Genossenschaftswesen.
- Li, Gan & Wen-Yao, Wang, 2010. "Partial Deposit Insurance and Moral Hazard in Banking," MPRA Paper 25798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carlos Budnevich L. & Helmut Franken M., 2003. "Market Discipline in Depositors’ Behavior and the Role of Risk-Rating Agencies: The Case of Chile," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 6(2), pages 45-70, August.
- Ece Ungan & Selçuk Caner & Süheyla Özyıldırım, 2008. "Depositors’ Assessment of Bank Riskiness in the Russian Federation," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 77-100, April.
- Ghosh, Saibal & Das, Abhiman, 2006. "Depositor discipline in Indian banking: Separating facts from folklore," MPRA Paper 17427, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Maria Soledad Martinez Peria & Sergio Schmukler, 2004. "Market Discipline in Emerging Economies: Beyond Bank Fundamentals," Business School Working Papers marketdiscipline, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Edda Zoli & Danyang Xie & Reza Vaez-Zadeh, 2002. "Modis," IMF Working Papers 02/207, International Monetary Fund.
- Arnaud Bourgain & Patrice Pieretti & Skerdilajda Zanaj, 2009. "International Financial competition and bank risk-taking in emerging economies," CREA Discussion Paper Series 09-08, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Reza Vaez-Zadeh & Danyang Xie & Edda Zoli, 2002. "MODIS: A Market-Oriented Deposit Insurance Scheme," Finance 0212001, EconWPA.
- Maechler, Andrea M. & McDill, Kathleen M., 2006. "Dynamic depositor discipline in US banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1871-1898, July.
- Cubillas, Elena & Fonseca, Ana Rosa & González, Francisco, 2012. "Banking crises and market discipline: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2285-2298.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.