The Disappearing Tax Base
AbstractThis paper analyzes the link between FDI, corporate taxation, and corporate tax revenues. We find strong evidence that FDI in (out) flows are affected by tax regimes in the host (home) countries and FDI flows in turn affect the corporate tax base. Simulations of European Union (EU) harmonization (isolating the revenue effect of FDI on the tax base from direct effects through the rate harmonization) suggest that high (low) tax countries would gain (lose) revenue from harmonization; these effects may be substantial. Our results also suggest that EU tax harmonization would significantly affect the net FDI position of some countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 00/173.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roberta De Santis & Maria Cristina Mercuri & Claudio Vicarelli, 2001. "Taxes and Location of Foreign Direct Investments: an Empirical Analysys for the European Union Countries," ISAE Working Papers 24, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Feld, Lars P. & Ruf, Martin & Scheuering, Uwe & Schreiber, Ulrich & Voget, Johannes, 2013.
"Effects of territorial and worldwide corporation tax systems on outbound M&As,"
Freiburg Discussion Papers on Constitutional Economics
13/11, Walter Eucken Institut e.V..
- Feld, Lars P. & Ruf, Martin & Scheuering, Uwe & Schreiber, Ulrich & Voget, Johannes, 2013. "Effects of territorial and worldwide corporation tax systems on outbound M&As," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-088, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lars P. Feld & Martin Ruf & Uwe Scheuering & Ulrich Schreiber & Johannes Voget, 2013. "Effects of Territorial and Worldwide Corporation Tax Systems on Outbound M&As," CESifo Working Paper Series 4455, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kimberly Clausing, 2007. "Corporate tax revenues in OECD countries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 115-133, April.
- Kenneth G. Stewart & Michael C. Webb, 2003. "Capital Taxation, Globalization, and International Tax Competition," Econometrics Working Papers 0301, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Görg, Holger & Molana, Hassan & Montagna, Catia, 2009.
"Foreign direct investment, tax competition and social expenditure,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 31-37, January.
- Holger Görg, & Hassan Molana, & Catia Montagna, . "Foreign Direct Investment, Tax Competition and Social Expenditure," Discussion Papers 07/03, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Holger Görg & Hassan Molana & Catia Montagna, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment, Tax Competition and Social Expenditure," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 198, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Barry, Frank, 2003. "Tax Policy, FDI and the Irish Economic Boom of the 1990s," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 33(2), pages 221-236, September.
- Frank Barry and Rosemary Healy-Rae, 2008. "FDI Implications of Recent European Court of Justice Decision on Corporation Tax Matters," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp270, IIIS.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Lionel Fontagné & Amina Lahrèche-Révil, 2005. "How Does FDI React to Corporate Taxation?," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 12(5), pages 583-603, September.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka, 2007.
"Productivity and Taxes as Drivers of FDI,"
NBER Working Papers
13094, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter J. Mullins, 2006. "Moving to Territoriality? Implications for the United States and the Rest of the World," IMF Working Papers 06/161, International Monetary Fund.
- Květa Kubátová & Lucie Říhová, 2009. "Regression analysis of factors influencing corporate tax revenues in OECD countries," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(4), pages 451-470.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.