Improving Governance and Fighting Corruption in the Baltic and CIS Countries
AbstractThis paper examines the indirect role the IMF plays in combating corruption in the Baltic and CIS countries by promoting structural reforms that help improve economic governance and thus reduce opportunities for rent-seeking behavior. The analysis draws on examples of actual experience with corruption and outlines some of the structural measures under IMF-supported arrangements, which, if successfully implemented, can be expected to help gradually alleviate corruption. It also summarizes IMF-wide initiatives under way to strengthen public sector transparency and accountability, and highlights the key structural areas likely to receive emphasis in the IMF’s future policy advice to countries in the region.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 00/1.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Whalley, John, 2005.
"Pitfalls in the Use of Ad valorem Equivalent Representations of the Trade Impacts of Domestic Policies,"
24164, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- John Whalley, 2005. "Pitfalls in the Use of Ad valorem Equivalent Representations of the Trade Impacts of Domestic Policies," CESifo Working Paper Series 1480, CESifo Group Munich.
- Edgar Cudmore & John Whalley, 2003.
"Border Delays and Trade Liberalization,"
NBER Working Papers
9485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edgar Cudmore & John Whalley, 2002. "Border Delays and Trade Liberalization," University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers 20026, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
- Fei Zhong, 2001. ""The Fable of the Keiretsu: "Big Bang versus Gradualism : The Political-Economy of the Patterns in Transition"(in Japanese)," CIRJE J-Series CIRJE-J-39, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Michailova, Julija & Melnykovska, Inna, 2009.
"Gender, corruption and sustainable growth in transition countries,"
17074, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Sep 2009.
- Julija MICHAILOVA, 2009. "Gender, Corruption And Sustainable Growth In Transition Countries," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 4(3(9)_Fall).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.