The Exchange Rate System: Lessons of the Past and Options for the Future
AbstractThe last few years have witnessed a resurgence of calls for a re-examination, or perhaps even a reform, of the international monetary system. This paper contributes to the ongoing debate on that subject in three ways: 1 it suggests a set of criteria for evaluating alternative exchange rate systems; 2 it provides a comprehensive appraisal of a decade of experience with the present exchange rate system in terms of those criteria; and 3 it selects some key issues as a basis for discussion on how the evolution of the exchange rate system might best be managed over the medium term.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Occasional Papers with number 30.
Date of creation: 08 Jul 1984
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Morris Goldstein, 1989.
"Exchange Rate Volatility and Misalignment: Evaluating Some Proposals for Reform,"
NBER Working Papers
2894, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacob A. Frenkel & Morris Goldstein, 1988. "Exchange rate volatility and misalignment: evaluating some proposals for reform," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 185-231.
- Sven W. Arndt & J. David Richardson, 1988. "Real-Financial Linkages Among Open Economies," NBER Working Papers 2230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Mooslechner & Martin Schuerz, 1999. "International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination: Any Lessons for EMU? A Selective Survey of the Literature," Empirica, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 171-199, September.
- David Greenaway & Richard Kneller & Xufei Zhang, . "Exchange Rates, Exports and FDI: A Microeconometric Analysis," Discussion Papers 08/09, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- David Greenaway & Richard Kneller & Xufei Zhang, .
"Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Export Decisions in the UK,"
08/42, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Greenaway, David & Kneller, Richard, 2010. "Exchange Rate Uncertainty and Export Decisions in the UK," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 25, pages 734-753.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.