The Design and Implementation of Deposit Insurance Systems
AbstractThis paper describes recently established deposit insurance systems, identifying emerging trends. In line with previous IMF work on the subject, it argues against the development of "best practices" applicable to all systems. Rather, it stresses the importance of incorporating each country’s individual objectives in adopting a deposit insurance system, as well as that country’s characteristics, to ensure an effective system that minimizes disincentives and distortions to financial sector intermediation. The paper includes a summary of the academic literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Occasional Papers with number 251.
Date of creation: 07 Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David G. Mayes, 2008. "Avoiding the Next Crisis," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 9(4), pages 44-50, December.
- Hardy, Daniel C. & Nieto, Maria J., 2011. "Cross-border coordination of prudential supervision and deposit guarantees," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 155-164, August.
- Daniel C. Hardy & María J. Nieto, 2011. "Cross-border coordination of prudential supervision And deposit guarantees," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1126, Banco de Espa�a.
- Hamada, Miki, 2011. "Market discipline by depositors : impact of deposit insurance on the Indonesian banking sector," IDE Discussion Papers 292, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Michiel Bijlsma & Karen van der Wiel, 2012. "What Awareness? Consumer Perception of Bank Risk and Deposit Insurance," CPB Discussion Paper 205, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- International Monetary Fund, 2008. "Cross-Border Coordination Of Prudential Supervision And Deposit Guarantees," IMF Working Papers 08/283, International Monetary Fund.
- Veronika Holá & Petr Jakubík, 2011. "Impact of Parametric Changes in Deposit Insurance Schemes in 2008," Politická ekonomie, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2011(5), pages 659-679.
- P.E. Morris, 2010. "Bank failure and deposit protection in offshore Britain: the case of Guernsey," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(3), pages 272-292, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.