Currency Board Arrangements: Issues and Experiences
AbstractThis paper provides a comprehensive analysis of the attractions and disadvantages of currency board arrangements in their various institutional configurations. It asks what defines a currency board arrangement, what are their strengths and weaknesses, and what constraints they place on macroeconomic policies. It also reviews country experiences with these arrangements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Occasional Papers with number 151.
Date of creation: 05 Sep 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Moheeput, Ashwin, 2008. "Issues on the choice of Exchange Rate Regimes and Currency Boards – An Analytical Survey," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 855, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Emilie Laffiteau & Jean-Marc Montaud, 2005. "Currency Board et ajustements macroéconomiques : les leçons de l’expérience argentine," Documents de travail 120, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
- Mart Sõrg, 2005. "Estonia’s Accession to the EMU," Working Papers 133, Tallinn School of Economics and Business Administration, Tallinn University of Technology.
- Cordeiro, Jose Luis, 2008. "Monetary Systems in Developing Countries: An Unorthodox View," IDE Discussion Papers 154, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Macedo, Jorge Braga de & Braz, José & Pereira, Luis brites & Nunes, Luis C., 2006. "Exchange market pressure and the credibility of Macau's currency Board," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp492, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- De la Torre, Augusto & Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2003.
"Living and dying with hard pegs : the rise and fall of Argentina's currency board,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2980, The World Bank.
- Augusto de la Torre & Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2003. "Living and Dying with Hard Pegs: The Rise and Fall of Argentina's Currency Board," Journal of LACEA Economia, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Augusto de la Torre & Sergio Schmukler, 2003. "Living and Dying with Hard Pegs: The Rise and Fall of Argentina´s Currency Board," Business School Working Papers catorce, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Sarkis Joseph Khoury & Clas Wihlborg, 2006. "Outsourcing Central Banking: Lessons from Estonia," Journal of Policy Reform, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 125-144.
- Mark R. Stone, 2003. "Inflation Targeting Lite," IMF Working Papers 03/12, International Monetary Fund.
- Urmas Sepp & Raoul Lättemäe & Martti Randveer, 2002. "The History and Sustainability of the CBA in Estonia," Macroeconomics 0212002, EconWPA.
- Chionis, Dionysios, 2003. "Policy Misalignments of the Currency Board Arrangements: Issues and Experiences from the Caribbean Economies," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 3(2).
- Beckerman, Paul, 2001. "Dollarization and semi-dollarization in Ecuador," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2643, The World Bank.
- Ã…ke LÃ¶nnberg & Luis Ignacio JÃ¡come, 2010. "Implementing Official Dollarization," IMF Working Papers 10/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Raoul Lättemäe, 2002.
"Monetary Transmission Mechanism in Estonia - Some Theoretical Considerations and Stylized Aspects,"
- Raoul Lättemäe, 2001. "Monetary transmission mechanism in Estonia - some theorethical considerations and stylized aspects," Bank of Estonia Working Papers 2001-4, Bank of Estonia, revised 13 Oct 2001.
- Corrinne Ho, 2002. "A survey of the institutional and operational aspects of modern-day currency boards," BIS Working Papers 110, Bank for International Settlements.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Lithuania: History and Future of the Currency Board Arrangement:," IMF Working Papers 02/127, International Monetary Fund.
- PONSOT, Jean-François, 2000. "Le Currency Board : les contraintes de financement et d'ajustement de la convertibilité intégrale," LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003) 2000-10, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Ying Wu, 2005. "Determining a Modified Currency Board's Two-Period Exchange Rate Strategy," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 11(4), pages 347-357, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.