Quasi-Fiscal Operations of Public Financial Institutions
AbstractCentral banks and other public financial institutions act as agents of fiscal policy in many countries. Their "quasi-fiscal" operations and activities can affect the overall public sector balance without affecting the budget deficit as conventionally measured, may also have important allocative effects, and increase the effective size of the public sector. This paper analyzes the macroeconomic and financial effects of such quasi-fiscal activities, as well as the taxes, subsidies, and other expenditures that such activities introduce outside the budget. Measurement and accounting issues are addressed, and policy recommendations are offered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Occasional Papers with number 142.
Date of creation: 24 Oct 1996
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ã…ke LÃ¶nnberg & Peter Stella, 2008. "Issues in Central Bank Finance and Independence," IMF Working Papers 08/37, International Monetary Fund.
- Ansgar Belke & Niklas Potrafke, 2009.
"Does Government Ideology Matter in Monetary Policy? – A Panel Data Analysis for OECD Countries,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0094, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Belke, Ansgar & Potrafke, Niklas, 2012. "Does government ideology matter in monetary policy? A panel data analysis for OECD countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1126-1139.
- Ansgar Belke & Niklas Potrafke, 2011. "Does Government Ideology Matter in Monetary Policy? A Panel Data Analysis for OECD Countries," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2011-48, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Ansgar Belke & Niklas Potrafke, 2011. "Does Government Ideology Matter in Monetary Policy?: A Panel Data Analysis for OECD Countries," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1180, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- William Easterly, 1999.
"When is fiscal adjustment an illusion?,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 14(28), pages 55-86, 04.
- Robert Tchaidze, 2007. "Quasi-Fiscal Deficit in Non-Financial Enterprises," IMF Working Papers 07/10, International Monetary Fund.
- Seok Gil Park, 2012. "Central Banks Quasi-Fiscal Policies and Inflation," IMF Working Papers 12/14, International Monetary Fund.
- J.R. Davis & P.G. Hare, 1997. "Reforming the Systems of Rural Finance Provision in Romania: Some Options for Privatisation and Change," CERT Discussion Papers 9713, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Heinrich, Ralph P. & Spinanger, Dean & Engerer, Hella & Lodahl, Maria & Schrettl, Wolfram & Schrooten, Mechthild & Gabrisch, Hubert & Sigmund, Peter, 1998.
"Die wirtschaftliche Lage der Republik Belarus: Weitere Restauration der Planwirtschaft. Dreizehnter Bericht,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
1039, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Buch, Claudia M. & Heinrich, Ralph P. & Spinanger, Dean & Engerer, Hella & Lodahl, Maria & Schrettl, Wolfram & Schrooten, Mechthild & Gabrisch, Hubert & Sigmund, Peter, 1998. "Die wirtschaftliche Lage der Republik Belarus: Weitere Restauration der Planwirtschaft. Dreizehnter Bericht," Kiel Discussion Papers 327, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Peter Stella & Ulrich H. Klueh, 2008. "Central Bank Financial Strength and Policy Performance: An Econometric Evaluation," IMF Working Papers 08/176, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Stella & Åke Lonnberg, 2008. "Issues in central bank finance and independence," Working Paper 2008-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Osama Sweidan, 2010. "Central bank inability and Taylor rule in developing countries," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 57(4), pages 395-409, December.
- Sudeshna Banerjee & Heather Skilling & Vivien Foster & Cecilia Briceno-Garmendia & Elvira Morella & Tarik Chfadi, 2008. "Africa - Ebbing Water, Surging Deficits : Urban Water Supply in Sub-Saharan Africa," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7835, The World Bank.
- Martin Cincibuch & Tomas Holub & Jaromir Hurnik, 2008.
"Central Bank Losses and Economic Convergence,"
2008/3, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Martin Cincibuch & Tomáš Holub & Jaromír Hurník, 2009. "Central Bank Losses and Economic Convergence," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(3), pages 190-215, August.
- Alain Ize, 2005. "Capitalizing Central Banks: A Net Worth Approach," IMF Working Papers 05/15, International Monetary Fund.
- SÃ²nia MuÃ±oz, 2007. "Central Bank Quasi-Fiscal Losses and High Inflation in Zimbabwe: A Note," IMF Working Papers 07/98, International Monetary Fund.
- Gábor P. Kiss, 2007. "One-off and off-budget items: An alternative approach," MNB Conference Volume, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary), vol. 1(1), pages 18-27, December.
- Peter Stella, 2002. "Central Bank Financial Strength, Transparency, and Policy Credibility," IMF Working Papers 02/137, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.