Financial Fragilities in Latin America: The 1980s and 1990s
AbstractBy reviewing the experiences of Latin American countries with the restructuring of their financial sectors since 1982, this paper derives lessons regarding the most effective ways to deal with banking difficulties in developing countries. It then discusses whether these lessons have been put into practice during the latest crisis. A sample of five countries - Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru - is used for this purpose.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Occasional Papers with number 132.
Date of creation: 06 Oct 1995
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Reuven GLICK & Michael HUTCHISON, 2000. "Banking and Currency Crises: How Common Are The Twins?," Working Papers 012000, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Araújo, Eurilton, 2012. "Investment-specific shocks and real business cycles in emerging economies: Evidence from Brazil," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 671-678.
- Molina, Carlos A., 2002. "Predicting bank failures using a hazard model: the Venezuelan banking crisis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 31-50, March.
- Montes, M.F., 1996. "Country Responses to Massive Capital Flows," Research Paper 121, World Institute for Development Economics Research.
- Pavan Ahluwalia, 1999. "Discriminating Contagion - An Alternative Explanation of Contagious Currency Crises in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 00/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Rojas-Suarez, Liliana, 2002.
"Can international capital standards strengthen banks in emerging markets?,"
Journal of Financial Transformation,
Capco Institute, vol. 5, pages 51-63.
- Liliana Rojas-Suarez, 2001. "Can International Capital Standards Strengthen Banks in Emerging Markets?," Working Paper Series WP01-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jacome H., Luis I. & Saadi Sedik, Tahsin & Townsend, Simon, 2012.
"Can emerging market central banks bail out banks? A cautionary tale from Latin America,"
Emerging Markets Review,
Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 424-448.
- International Monetary Fund, 2011. "Can Emerging Market Central Banks Bail Out Banks? A Cautionary Tale from Latin America," IMF Working Papers 11/258, International Monetary Fund.
- Miller, Victoria, 2000. "Central bank reactions to banking crises in fixed exchange rate regimes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 451-472, December.
- Miller, Victoria, 1999. "The timing and size of bank-financed speculative attacks," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 459-470.
- Saleem, Kashif, 2008. "International linkage of the Russian market and the Russian financial crisis: A multivariate GARCH analysis," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Saleem, Kashif, 2009. "International linkage of the Russian market and the Russian financial crisis: A multivariate GARCH analysis," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 243-256, September.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Solarin, Sakiru Adebola & Mahmood, Haider, 2012.
"Does Financial Development Reduce CO2 Emissions in Malaysian Economy? A Time Series Analysis,"
40603, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Aug 2012.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Solarin, Sakiru Adebola & Mahmood, Haider & Arouri, Mohamed, 2013. "Does financial development reduce CO2 emissions in Malaysian economy? A time series analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 145-152.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.