The Challenge of Predicting Economic Crises
AbstractThe integration of financial markets around the world over the past decade has posed new challenges for policymakers. The speed with which money can be switched in and out of currencies and countries has increased with the efficiency of global communications, considerably shortening the time policymakers have to respond to emerging crises. This pamphlet takes alook at attempts by economists to predict crises by developing early warning systems to signal when trouble may be brewing in currency markets and banking systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Economic Issues with number 22.
Date of creation: 11 Sep 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-10-11 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ayadi, Mohamed & Khallouli, Wajih & Sandretto, René, 2006.
"Les déterminants des crises financières récentes des pays émergents,"
L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique,
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 82(3), pages 341-376, septembre.
- Mohamed Ayadi & Wajih Khallouli & René Sandretto, 2006. "Les déterminants des crises financières récentes des pays émergents," Post-Print, HAL halshs-00137700, HAL.
- Emil Panusheff, 2005. "The Regional Character of Financial Crises," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 4, pages 49-69.
- Mario Sarcinelli, 2004. "The new financial architecture: from substantive to procedural rules," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 57(231), pages 337-363.
- Mario Sarcinelli, 2004. "The new financial architecture: from substantive to procedural rules," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 57(231), pages 337-363.
- Pederson, Glenn D. & Khitarishvili, Tamar, 2001. "Trade And Macroeconomic Policy: What Does It Mean For Farmers And Lenders?," Agricultural Outlook Forum 2001, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Outlook Forum 33081, United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Outlook Forum.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.