Regional trade agreements and domestic labour market regulation
AbstractDiscusses the relationship between labour market regulation and regional trade agreements from both a legal and an economic angle. Examines whether regional trade liberalisation is associated with deterioration of domestic labour standards beyond those reflected in the 1998 ILO Declaration on the Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work. Using a panel of 90 developed and developing countries, covers the years from 1980 to 2005.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Labour Organization in its series ILO Working Papers with number 470016.
Length: 62 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Employment working paper series
labour market; labour policy; trade agreement; role of ILO; role of WTO; Asia; EU countries; Pacific; USA; marché du travail; politique du travail; accord commercial; rôle de l'OIT; rôle de l'OMC; Asie; pays de l'UE; Pacifique; Etats-Unis; mercado de trabajo; política laboral; convenio comercial; papel de la OIT; papel de la OMC; Asia; países de la UE; Pacífico; Estados Unidos;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maskus, Keith E., 1997. "Should core labor standards be imposed through international trade policy?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1817, The World Bank.
- Cees van Beers, 1998. "Labour Standards and Trade Flows of OECD Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 57-73, 01.
- Edmonds, Eric V & Pavcnik, Nina, 2004.
"International Trade and Child Labour: Cross-Country Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4309, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edmonds, Eric V. & Pavcnik, Nina, 2006. "International trade and child labor: Cross-country evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 115-140, January.
- Eric Edmonds & Nina Pavcnik, 2004. "International Trade and Child Labor: Cross-Country Evidence," NBER Working Papers 10317, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fischer, Justina AV & Somogyi, Frank, 2009.
"Globalization and Protection of Employment,"
17535, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fischer, Justina A.V. & Somogyi, Frank, 2012. "Globalization and protection of employment," MPRA Paper 39426, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Justina A.V. Fischer & Frank Somogyi, 2009. "Globalization and Protection of Employment," KOF Working papers 09-238, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Kimberly Ann Elliott, 2003. "Labor Standards and the Free Trade Area of the Americas," Working Paper Series WP03-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jai S. Mah, 1997. "Core Labour Standards and Export Performance in Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(6), pages 773-785, 09.
- Michaël Bonnal, 2010. "Export Performance, Labor Standards and Institutions: Evidence from a Dynamic Panel Data Model," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 53-66, March.
- Samira Bakhshi & William A. Kerr, 2008. "Incorporating labour standards in trade agreements: protectionist ploy or legitimate trade policy issue?," International Journal of Trade and Global Markets, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(4), pages 373-391.
- Vivek Dehejia & Yiagadeesen Samy, 2006. "Labor Standards and Economic Integration in the European Union: An Empirical Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 1746, CESifo Group Munich.
- H. Dehejia, Vivek & Samy, Yiagadeesen, 2008. "Labor Standards and Economic Integration in the European Union: an Empirical Analysis," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 23, pages 817-847.
- William W. Olney, 2010.
"A Race to the Bottom? Employment Protection and Foreign Direct Investment,"
Center for Development Economics
2011-02, Department of Economics, Williams College, revised May 2011.
- William W. Olney, 2010. "A Race to the Bottom? Employment Protection and Foreign Direct Investment," Department of Economics Working Papers 2011-02, Department of Economics, Williams College, revised Jan 2012.
- Busse, Matthias, 2002. "Do Labor Standards Affect Comparative Advantage in Developing Countries?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 1921-1932, November.
- David Kucera & Ritash Sarna, 2006. "Trade Union Rights, Democracy, and Exports: a Gravity Model Approach," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(5), pages 859-882, November.
- Jean-Pierre Chauffour & Jean-Christophe Maur, 2011. "Preferential Trade Agreement Policies for Development : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2329, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vesa Sivunen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.