How do trade union rights affect trade competitiveness?
AbstractUses a bilateral trade gravity model to evaluate the effects of freedom of association and collective bargaining (FACB) rights on exports. Finds robust relationships between stronger FACB rights and higher total manufacturing exports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Labour Organization in its series ILO Working Papers with number 369300.
Length: 51 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Working paper :
trade union rights; competitiveness; trade; economic implication; developed countries; developing countries; econometric model; freedom of association; collective bargaining; manufacturing; export volume; droits syndicaux; compétitivité; commerce international; conséquences économiques; pays développés; pays en développement; modèle économétrique; liberté syndicale; négociation collective; industries manufacturières; volume des exportations; derechos sindicales; competitividad; comercio internacional; consecuencias económicas; países desarrollados; países en desarrollo; modelo econométrico; libertad sindical; negociación colectiva; industrias manufactureras; volumen de exportaciones;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drusilla K. Brown, 2000.
"International Trade and Core Labour Standards: A Survey of the Recent Literature,"
OECD Labour Market and Social Policy Occasional Papers
43, OECD Publishing.
- Drusilla K. Brown, 2000. "International Trade and Core Labor Standards: A Survey of the Recent Literature," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0005, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Simon J. Evenett & Wolfgang Keller, 1996.
"On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation,"
9608001, EconWPA, revised 13 Jun 1997.
- Simon J. Evenett & Wolfgang Keller, 2002. "On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(2), pages 281-316, April.
- Simon J. Evenett & Wolfgang Keller, 1998. "On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation," NBER Working Papers 6529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evenett, S. J. & Keller, W., 1994. "On Theories Explaining the Success of the Gravity Equation," Working papers 9713, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Deininger, Klaus & Squire, Lyn, 1998. "New ways of looking at old issues: inequality and growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 259-287.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1995.
"Determinants of Bilateral Trade : Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?,"
95-05, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Alan Deardorff, 1998. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," NBER Chapters, in: The Regionalization of the World Economy, pages 7-32 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 1995. "Determinants of Bilateral Trade: Does Gravity Work in a Neoclassical World?," NBER Working Papers 5377, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, Harvey & Berri, David J. & Ozawa, Terutomo, 2003. "Market recycling in labor-intensive goods, flying-geese style: an empirical analysis of East Asian exports to the U.S," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 35-50, February.
- Cees van Beers, 1998. "Labour Standards and Trade Flows of OECD Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 57-73, 01.
- Bazillier, Remi, 2008. "Core Labor Standards and Development: Impact on Long-Term Income," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 17-38, January.
- Neumayer, Eric & Soysa, Indra de, 2006. "Globalization and the Right to Free Association and Collective Bargaining: An Empirical Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 31-49, January.
- Eric Neumayer & Indra de Soysa, 2004. "Globalization and the Right to Free Association and Collective," Labor and Demography 0410006, EconWPA, revised 22 Apr 2005.
- Pegler, L.J., 2011. "Sustainable Value Chains and Labour - Linking Chain and "Inner Drivers" - From Concepts to Practice," ISS Working Papers - General Series 525, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vesa Sivunen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.