Child labour, school attendance and academic performance : a review
AbstractExplores methods for estimating the impact of child labour on student learning. Considers various measures of child labour and school performance and examines issues in sample design. Demonstrates the type of results that can be obtained with two multi-country data sets and makes suggestions for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Labour Organization in its series ILO Working Papers with number 366541.
Length: 34 p. ; pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in ILO/IPEC working paper series
child labour; schooling; attendance; learning; measurement; developing countries; human capital; attainment appraisal; data collecting; statistical method; sample; travail des enfants; scolarité; présence; acquisition de connaissances; mesure; pays en développement; capital humain; évaluation du niveau de formation; collecte des données; méthode statistique; échantillon; trabajo infantil; escolaridad; asistencia; adquisición de conocimientos; medición; países en desarrollo; capital humano; evaluación del nivel de formación; recopilación de datos; método estadístico; muestra;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacoby, Hanan G & Skoufias, Emmanuel, 1997. "Risk, Financial Markets, and Human Capital in a Developing Country," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(3), pages 311-35, July.
- Orazem, Peter, 1987.
"Black-White Differences in Schooling Investment and Human Capital Production in Segregated Schools,"
Staff General Research Papers
11130, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Orazem, Peter F, 1987. "Black-White Differences in Schooling Investment and Human Capital Production in Segregated Schools," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 714-23, September.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Daniel R. Sherman, 1985.
"Employment While in College, Academic Achievement and Post-College Outcomes: A Summary of Results,"
NBER Working Papers
1742, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronald G. Ehrenberg & Daniel R. Sherman, 1987. "Employment While in College, Academic Achievement, and Postcollege Outcomes: A Summary of Results," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(1), pages 1-23.
- F. Rosati & M. Rossi, 2001. "Children's Working Hours, School Enrolment and Human Capital Accumulation: Evidence from Pakistan and Nicaragua," UCW Working Paper 8, Understanding Children's Work (UCW Programme).
- Ravallion, Martin & Wodon, Quentin, 1999.
"Does child labor displace schooling? - evidence on behavioral responses to an enrollment subsidy,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2116, The World Bank.
- Ravallion, Martin & Wodon, Quentin, 2000. "Does Child Labour Displace Schooling? Evidence on Behavioural Responses to an Enrollment Subsidy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C158-75, March.
- Sedlacek, Guilherme & Duryea, Suzanne & Ilahi, Nadeem & Sasaki, Masaru, 2005. "Child labor, schooling, and poverty in Latin America," Social Protection Discussion Papers 32742, The World Bank.
- Duryea, Suzanne & Hoek, Jasper & Lam, david & Levison, Deborah, 2005. "Dynamics of child labor : labor force entry and exit in urban Brazil," Social Protection Discussion Papers 32744, The World Bank.
- George Psacharopoulos & Harry Anthony Patrinos, 1997. "Family size, schooling and child labor in Peru - An empirical analysis," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 387-405.
- Lam, David & Schoeni, Robert F, 1993.
"Effects of Family Background on Earnings and Returns to Schooling: Evidence from Brazil,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(4), pages 710-40, August.
- Lam. D. & Schoeni, R.F., 1996. "Effects on Family Background on Earnings and Returns to Schooling: Evidence from Brazil," Papers 96-13, RAND - Reprint Series.
- Alderman, Harold & Orazem, Peter & Paterno, Elizabeth M., 2001.
"School Quality, School Cost, and the Public/Private School Choices of Low-Income Households in Pakistan,"
Staff General Research Papers
1970, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Harold Alderman & Peter F. Orazem & Elizabeth M. Paterno, 2001. "School Quality, School Cost, and the Public/Private School Choices of Low-Income Households in Pakistan," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 36(2), pages 304-326.
- Hurley, Terrance M. & Kliebenstein, James & Orazem, Peter, 2000.
"An Analysis of Occupational Health in Pork Production,"
Staff General Research Papers
1843, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Terrance M. Hurley & James B. Kliebenstein & Peter F. Orazem, 2000. "An Analysis of Occupational Health in Pork Production," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 323-333.
- Terrance M. HURLEY & James Kliebenstein & Peter F. ORAZEM, 1996. "An Analysis Of Occupational Health In Pork Production," Staff Papers 284, Iowa State University Department of Economics.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1994.
"Returns to investment in education: A global update,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(9), pages 1325-1343, September.
- Psacharopoulos, George, 1993. "Returns to investment in education : a global update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1067, The World Bank.
- Gertler, Paul & Glewwe, Paul, 1990. "The willingness to pay for education in developing countries : Evidence from rural Peru," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 251-275, August.
- George Psacharopoulos, 1997. "Child labor versus educational attainment Some evidence from Latin America," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 377-386.
- Rosenzweig, Mark R & Evenson, Robert E, 1977. "Fertility, Schooling, and the Economic Contribution of Children in Rural India: An Econometric Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1065-79, July.
- Emerson, Patrick M. & Souza, André Portela, 2008.
"Birth Order, Child Labor, and School Attendance in Brazil,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1647-1664, September.
- Patrick M. Emerson & Andre Portela Souza, 2002. "Birth Order, Child Labor and School Attendance in Brazil," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0212, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Eric Edmonds & Nina Pavcnik, 2002. "Does Globalization Increase Child Labor? Evidence from Vietnam," NBER Working Papers 8760, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geoffrey Lancaster & Ranjan Ray, 2004. "Does Child Labour Affect School Attendance and School Performance?Multi Country Evidence on SIMPOC data," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 68, Econometric Society.
- Bezerra, Márcio Eduardo G. & Kassouf, Ana Lucia & Arends-Kuenning, Mary P., 2009. "The Impact of Child Labor and School Quality on Academic Achievement in Brazil," IZA Discussion Papers 4062, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vesa Sivunen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.