Fishing Location decisions in the Chilean-Transzonal Jack Mackerel Fishery
AbstractThis study examines factors conditioning the fishing location decisions of the Chilean fleet operating in the South-east Pacific straddling jack mackerel fishery, considering voyage data for the1987-2004 period. As from the early 1990s, this fleet began to move beyond the 200 nm zone, responding to changes in the spatial distribution of the species. It is thought that this change dynamics may have been intensified by the strong 1997-98 El Niño event. The return of distant water-fishing-nation’s fleets to this fishery, as from the year 2000, has increased interest in understanding effects related with this spatial change dynamics. This paper is an econometric analysis of the effect of environmental, regulatory, technological and economic factors on the fishing location decisions of the Chilean fleet working in this fishery. The possible influence of El Niño events on the spatial operations of this fleet is tested.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines in its series ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers with number inv217.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2008
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q22 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Fishery
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin D. Smith, 2002. "Two Econometric Approaches for Predicting the Spatial Behavior of Renewable Resource Harvesters," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 522-538.
- repec:ags:mareec:28101 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bockstael, Nancy E. & Opaluch, James J., 1983. "Discrete modelling of supply response under uncertainty: The case of the fishery," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 125-137, June.
- repec:ags:mareec:28205 is not listed on IDEAS
- Julio Peña-Torres & Michael Basch & Sebastian Vergara, .
"El Dilema de la Escala Productiva frente a Ciclos de Abundancia: La Pesca Industrial en Chile,"
ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers
inv142, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Peña-Torres, Julio & Vergara, Sebastián & Basch, Michael, 2004. "El dilema de la escala productiva frente a ciclos de abundancia. La pesca industrial en Chile," El Trimestre Económico, Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(283), pages 575-612, julio-sep.
- Mark M. Fleming, 2000. "Spatial Statistics and Econometrics for Models in Fisheries Economics: Discussion," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1207-1209.
- repec:ags:mareec:28104 is not listed on IDEAS
- Johan A. Mistiaen & Ivar E. Strand, 2000. "Location Choice of Commercial Fishermen with Heterogeneous Risk Preferences," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1184-1190.
- repec:ags:mareec:28097 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martin D. Smith, 2000. "Spatial Search and Fishing Location Choice: Methodological Challenges of Empirical Modeling," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1198-1206.
- Lynham, John, 2006. "Schools of Fishermen: A Theory of Information Sharing in Spatial Search," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21442, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Smith, Martin D., 2005. "State dependence and heterogeneity in fishing location choice," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 319-340, September.
- Daniel S. Holland & Jon G. Sutinen, 2000. "Location Choice in New England Trawl Fisheries: Old Habits Die Hard," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(1), pages 133-149.
- repec:ags:mareec:47808 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:28239 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ags:mareec:28277 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcela Perticara).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.