The Macroeconomic Determinants of Volatility in Precious Metals Markets
AbstractWe investigate key macroeconomic factors that impact the price returns of precious metals markets. The markets investigated were gold, silver, platinum and palladium; whereas the macroeconomic factors accommodated business cycle, monetary environment and financial market sentiment factors. The key findings present limited evidence that the same macroeconomic factors jointly influence the volatility processes of the precious metal price series, although there is some evidence of volatility feedback between the precious metals. This finding lends weight to views that individual commodities are too distinct to be considered a single asset class or represented by a single index; a finding of considerable importance for portfolio managers and investors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IIIS in its series The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series with number iiisdp255.
Date of creation: 20 Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Batten, Jonathan A. & Ciner, Cetin & Lucey, Brian M., 2010. "The macroeconomic determinants of volatility in precious metals markets," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 65-71, June.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Gorton & K. Rouwenhorst, 2004.
"Facts and Fantasies about Commodity Futures,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
amz2619, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Mar 2005.
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 1995. " Predictability of Stock Returns: Robustness and Economic Significance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1201-28, September.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2009.
"Commodity Price Shocks and the Australian Economy since Federation,"
NBER Working Papers
14694, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2011. "Commodity Price Shocks And The Australian Economy Since Federation," Australian Economic History Review, Economic History Society of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 51(2), pages 150-177, 07.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Jeffrey G Williamson, 2009. "Commodity Price Shocks and the Australian Economy since Federation," Departmental Working Papers 2009-02, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2009. "Commodity Price Shocks and the Australian Economy since Federation," CEPR Discussion Papers 605, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Sambit Bhattacharyya & Jeffrey G Williamson, 2010. "Commodity Price Shocks and the Australian Economy Since Federation," OxCarre Working Papers 041, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Jeff Fleming & Chris Kirby & Barbara Ostdiek, 2006. "Information, Trading, and Volatility: Evidence from Weather-Sensitive Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(6), pages 2899-2930, December.
- Racine, Jeffrey, 2001. "On the Nonlinear Predictability of Stock Returns Using Financial and Economic Variables," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 380-82, July.
- Fernandez, Viviana, 2008. "The war on terror and its impact on the long-term volatility of financial markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-26.
- Claude B. Erb & Campbell R. Harvey, 2005. "The Tactical and Strategic Value of Commodity Futures," NBER Working Papers 11222, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, Nai-Fu, 1991. " Financial Investment Opportunities and the Macroeconomy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 529-54, June.
- Chng, Michael T., 2009. "Economic linkages across commodity futures: Hedging and trading implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 958-970, May.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Lynda Khalaf & Maral Kichian & Sebastien Mcmahon, 2008.
"Forecasting commodity prices: GARCH, jumps, and mean reversion,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(4), pages 279-291.
- Jean-Thomas Bernard & Lynda Khalaf & Maral Kichian & Sebastien McMahon, 2006. "Forecasting Commodity Prices: GARCH, Jumps, and Mean Reversion," Working Papers 06-14, Bank of Canada.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 2003. "The macroeconomic determinants of technology stock price volatility," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 191-205.
- Christopher L. Gilbert, 2008. "Commodity Speculation and Commodity Investment," Department of Economics Working Papers 0820, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Yuan, Yuan, 2008. "Metal volatility in presence of oil and interest rate shocks," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 606-620, March.
- Thomas Lee & John Zyren, 2007. "Volatility Relationship between Crude Oil and Petroleum Products," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 35(1), pages 97-112, March.
- Mark J. Flannery & Aris A. Protopapadakis, 2002. "Macroeconomic Factors Do Influence Aggregate Stock Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 751-782.
- Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2001. "The Determinants of Credit Spread Changes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2177-2207, December.
- Kearney, Colm, 2000. "The determination and international transmission of stock market volatility," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 31-52.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Amine Lahiani & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2013. "World gold prices and stock returns in China: insights for hedging and diversification strategies," Working Papers hal-00798038, HAL.
- Demiralay, Sercan & Ulusoy, Veysel, 2014. "Value-at-risk Predictions of Precious Metals with Long Memory Volatility Models," MPRA Paper 53229, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- CARPANTIER, Jean - François, 2010.
"Commodities inventory effect,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2010040, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- David M Gomez & Guillermo J Ortega & Benno Torgler & German Debat, 2011.
"Co-movements in commodity prices: a note based on network analysis,"
School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series
274, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- David Matesanz Gomez & Guillermo J. Ortega & Benno Torgler & German Dabat, 2011. "Co-movements in commodity prices: A note based on network analysis," CREMA Working Paper Series 2011-21, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Mihaela NICOLAU & Giulio PALOMBA & Ilaria TRAINI, 2013. "Are Futures Prices Influenced by Spot;Prices or Vice-versa? An Analysis of Crude;Oil, Natural Gas and Gold Markets," Working Papers 394, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Vivian, Andrew & Wohar, Mark E., 2012. "Commodity volatility breaks," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 395-422.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Shawkat Hammoudeh & Amine Lahiani & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2013.
"Long memory and structural breaks in modeling the return and volatility dynamics of precious metals,"
- Arouri, Mohamed El Hedi & Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Lahiani, Amine & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2012. "Long memory and structural breaks in modeling the return and volatility dynamics of precious metals," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 207-218.
- Mutafoglu, Takvor H. & Tokat, Ekin & Tokat, Hakki A., 2012. "Forecasting precious metal price movements using trader positions," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 273-280.
- CARPANTIER, Jean-François & DUFAYS, Arnaud, 2012. "Commodities volatility and the theory of storage," CORE Discussion Papers 2012037, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jozef Barunik & Evzen Kocenda & Lukas Vacha, 2013. "Gold, Oil, and Stocks," Papers 1308.0210, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eva Mateo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.