Psychological Barriers in Gold Prices
AbstractThis paper examines for the first time the existence of psychological barriers in a variety of daily and intra-day gold price series. This paper uses a number of statistical procedures and presents evidence of psychological barriers in gold prices. We document that prices in round numbers act as barriers with important effects on the conditional mean and variance of the gold price series around psychological barriers. Classification-
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by IIIS in its series The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series with number iiisdp053.
Date of creation: 20 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2005-04-30 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2005-04-30 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Welch, Ivo, 2000. "Herding among security analysts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 369-396, December.
- Brian Lucey & Edel Tully, 2005.
"Seasonality, Risk And Return In Daily COMEX Gold And Silver Data 1982-2002,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Brian Lucey & Edel Tully, 2006. "Seasonality, risk and return in daily COMEX gold and silver data 1982-2002," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 319-333.
- John Y. Campbell & Ludger Hentschel, 1991.
"No News is Good News: An Asymmetric Model of Changing Volatility in Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
3742, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John Y. & Hentschel, Ludger, 1992. "No news is good news *1: An asymmetric model of changing volatility in stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 281-318, June.
- Hentschel, Ludger & Campbell, John, 1992. "No News is Good News: An Asymmetric Model of Changing Volatility in Stock Returns," Scholarly Articles 3220232, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Frank, Murray & Stengos, Thanasis, 1989. "Measuring the Strangeness of Gold and Silver Rates of Return," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 553-67, October.
- Davidson, Sinclair & Faff, Robert & Hillier, David, 2003. "Gold factor exposures in international asset pricing," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 271-289, July.
- De Ceuster, Marc J. K. & Dhaene, Geert & Schatteman, Tom, 1998. "On the hypothesis of psychological barriers in stock markets and Benford's Law," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 263-279, September.
- Hirshleifer, David, 2001.
"Investor Psychology and Asset Pricing,"
5300, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koedijk, C.G. & Stork, P.A., 1994.
"Should we care? Psychological barriers in stock markets,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3108716, Tilburg University.
- Koedijk, Kees G. & Stork, Philip A., 1994. "Should we care? psychological barriers in stock markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 427-432, April.
- Donaldson, R.G., 1990. "International Evidence On Psychological Barriers In Asset Prices And The Efficient Market Hypothesis," Papers 116, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Adrian E. Tschoegl, 1988. "The source and consequences of stop orders: A conjecture," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(1), pages 83-85, 03.
- Tufano, Peter, 1996. " Who Manages Risk? An Empirical Examination of Risk Management Practices in the Gold Mining Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1097-1137, September.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997.
" The Limits of Arbitrage,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 35-55, March.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "The Limits of Arbitrage," NBER Working Papers 5167, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer ad Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "The Limits of Arbitrage," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1725, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Dionne, G. & Garand, M., 2000.
"Risk Management Determinants Affecting Firms' Values in the Gold Mining Industry: New Empirical Results,"
Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-
00-11, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
- Dionne, Georges & Garand, Martin, 2003. "Risk management determinants affecting firms' values in the gold mining industry: new empirical results," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 43-52, April.
- G. Dionne & M. Garand, 2000. "Risk Management Determinants Affecting Firms' Values in the Gold Mining Industry : New Empirical Results," THEMA Working Papers 2000-48, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Joep Sonnemans, 2003. "Price Clustering and Natural Resistance Points in the Dutch Stock Market," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 03-043/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- O. Beelders, 2003. "An investigation of the unconditional distribution of South African stock index returns," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(9), pages 623-633.
- Avery, Christopher & Zemsky, Peter, 1998. "Multidimensional Uncertainty and Herd Behavior in Financial Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(4), pages 724-48, September.
- Robert Faff & David Hillier, 2004. "An International Investigation of the Factors that Determine Conditional Gold Betas," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 473-488, 08.
- Marshall, Michael & Stengos, Thanasis, 1994. "Employing conditional variance processes to examine the market efficiency of the gold rates of return," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 355-365, December.
- Bailey, Warren Bernard, 1987. " An Empirical Investigation of the Market for Comex Gold Futures Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(5), pages 1187-94, December.
- James Barney Marsh, 1983. "Keynes on the Supply of Gold: A Statistical Test," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 7-12, Jan-Mar.
- Cyree, Ken B. & Domian, Dale L. & Louton, David A. & Yobaccio, Elizabeth J., 1999. "Evidence of psychological barriers in the conditional moments of major world stock indices," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 73-91, June.
- Li, Jun & Yu, Jianfeng, 2012. "Investor attention, psychological anchors, and stock return predictability," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 401-419.
- Dorfleitner, Gregor & Klein, Christian, 2009. "Psychological barriers in European stock markets: Where are they?," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 268-285.
- Baur, Dirk G., 2013. "The autumn effect of gold," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-11.
- Natanelov, Valeri & Alam, Mohammad Jahangir & McKenzie, Andrew M. & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Is There Co-Movement of Agricultural Commodities Futures Prices and Crude Oil?," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114626, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jozef Barunik & Evzen Kocenda & Lukas Vacha, 2013. "Gold, Oil, and Stocks," Papers 1308.0210, arXiv.org.
- Natanelov, Valeri & Alam, Mohammad J. & McKenzie, Andrew M. & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2011. "Is there co-movement of agricultural commodities futures prices and crude oil?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 4971-4984, September.
- Zhang, Yue-Jun & Wei, Yi-Ming, 2010. "The crude oil market and the gold market: Evidence for cointegration, causality and price discovery," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 168-177, September.
- Shafiee, Shahriar & Topal, Erkan, 2010. "An overview of global gold market and gold price forecasting," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 178-189, September.
- Bharati, Rakesh & Crain, Susan J. & Kaminski, Vincent, 2012. "Clustering in crude oil prices and the target pricing zone hypothesis," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 1115-1123.
- Morales, Lucía & Andreosso-O'Callaghan, Bernadette, 2011. "Comparative analysis on the effects of the Asian and global financial crises on precious metal markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 203-227, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eva Mateo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.