Connecting adaptive behaviour and expectations in models of innovation: The Potential Role of Artificial Neural Networks
AbstractIn this methodological work I explore the possibility of explicitly modelling expec-tations conditioning the R&D decisions of firms. In order to isolate this problem from the controversies of cognitive science, I propose a black box strategy through the concept of internal model . The last part of the article uses artificial neural networks to model the expectations of firms in a model of industry dynamics based on Nelson & Winter (1982).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Equipe Industries Innovation Institutions, Université Bordeaux IV, France in its series Working Papers with number 2001-2.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Neural networks; Genetic algorithms; Bounded rationality; learning; expectations; innovation dynamics.;
Other versions of this item:
- Murat Yildizoglu, 2002. "Connecting adaptive behaviour and expectations in models of innovation: The Potential Role of Artificial Neural Networks," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 200, Society for Computational Economics.
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-09-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-CMP-2001-09-26 (Computational Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2001-09-26 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-EVO-2001-09-26 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-INO-2001-09-26 (Innovation)
- NEP-MIC-2001-09-26 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-NET-2001-09-26 (Network Economics)
- NEP-TID-2001-09-26 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwasnicki, Witold, 1998. "Skewed distributions of firm sizes--an evolutionary perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 135-158, March.
- Winter, Sidney G., 1984. "Schumpeterian competition in alternative technological regimes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 287-320.
- GÃ©rard Ballot & Erol Taymaz, 1999. "Technological Change, Learning and Macro-Economic Coordination: an Evolutionary Model," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 2(2), pages 3.
- Kwasnicki, Witold & Kwasnicka, Halina, 1992. "Market, innovation, competition: An evolutionary model of industrial dynamics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 343-368, December.
- G. Silverberg & B. Verspagen, 1995. "Evolutionary Theorizing on Economic Growth," Working Papers wp95078, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Murat YILDIZOGLU (Université Aix-Marseille3), 2009. "Evolutionary approaches of economic dynamics (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-16, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Murat YILDIZOGLU (GREQAM, CNRS, UMR 6579) & Marc-Alexandre SENEGAS (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Isabelle SALLE (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Martin ZUMPE (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113), 2011.
"Learning the optimal buffer-stock consumption rule of Carroll,"
Cahiers du GREThA
2011-11, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Murat Yildizoglu & Marc-Alexandre Sénégas & Isabelle Salle & Martin Zumpe, 2011. "Learning the optimal buffer-stock consumption rule of Carroll," Working Papers halshs-00573689, HAL.
- Guido Fioretti, 2002.
"Recognizing Investment Opportunities at the Onset of Recoveries,"
- Fioretti, Guido, 2006. "Recognising investment opportunities at the onset of recoveries," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 69-84, June.
- Guido Fioretti, . "Recognizing Investment Opportunities at the Onset of Recoveries," Modeling, Computing, and Mastering Complexity 2003 07, Society for Computational Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.