The External Policy of the Euro Area: Organizing for Foreign Exchange Intervention
AbstractScholarship on European integration has extensively debated the external character of the monetary union. The institutions of exchange rate policymaking bear substantially on the euro area’s role in international monetary conflict and cooperation. This working paper examines the institutional arrangements for foreign exchange intervention within the euro area and the policymaking surrounding the market operations of autumn 2000—the only case to date of euro area intervention in currency markets. Drawing on interviews of officials in finance ministries, central banks, European institutions, and international organizations, as well as public sources, the paper specifies the division of labor among the European Central Bank (ECB), Eurogroup, and other European actors and compares that arrangement with corresponding arrangements in the G-7 partners. It concludes, among other things, that (1) the interinstitutional understanding within the euro area gives substantial latitude to the ECB, greater latitude than held by central banks in its G-7 partners, (2) but the understanding is susceptible to renegotiation over time, and (3) economic divergence within the euro area potentially threatens the ability of the monetary union to act coherently externally.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Peterson Institute for International Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number WP06-4.
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision:
Foreign Exchange Intervention; Exchange Rate Policy and Policymaking; Economic and Monetary Union; Euro-Dollar Exchange Rate; European Central Bank; Eurogroup; G-7 Cooperation; Transatlantic Monetary Relations; Political Economy of Exchange Rates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2006-07-02 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2006-07-02 (European Economics)
- NEP-IFN-2006-07-02 (International Finance)
- NEP-MON-2006-07-02 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dyson, Kenneth, 2000. "The Politics of the Euro-Zone: Stability or Breakdown?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199241644, October.
- repec:wop:humbsf:2000-43 is not listed on IDEAS
- G Alogoskoufis & R Portes & H Rey, 1998.
"The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0388, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 1998. "The emergence of the euro as an international currency," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 305-343, 04.
- Alogoskoufis, George & Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," CEPR Discussion Papers 1741, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alogoskoufis, G. & Portes, R. & Rey, H., 1997. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," DELTA Working Papers 97-28, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1998. "The Emergence of the Euro as an International Currency," NBER Working Papers 6424, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Randall Henning, 1997.
"Cooperating with Europe's Monetary Union,"
Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa49, November.
- C. Randall Henning, 1994. "Currencies and Politics in the United States, Germany, and Japan," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 15, July.
- John Williamson, 1999.
"Crawling Bands or Monitoring Bands: How to Manage Exchange Rates in a World of Capital Mobility,"
PB99-03, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Williamson, John, 1998. "Crawling Bands or Monitoring Bands: How to Manage Exchange Rates in a World of Capital Mobility," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 59-79, October.
- Agnès Bénassy-Quéré & Benoît Mojon & Armand-Denis Schor, 1998. "The International Role of the Euro," Working Papers 1998-03, CEPII research center.
- Kenen, Peter B., 1998. "EMU and transatlantic economic relations," HWWA Discussion Papers 60, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Henning, C. Randall, 1998. "Systemic Conflict and Regional Monetary Integration: The Case of Europe," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(03), pages 537-573, June.
- Chinn, Menzie David, 2000. "The empirical determinants of the Euro: Short and long run perspectives," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,43, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Barry Eichengreen and Fabio Ghironi., 1997.
"European Monetary Unification and International Monetary Cooperation,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C97-091, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Ghironi, Fabio, 1997. "European Monetary Unification and International Monetary Cooperation," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt10d518tg, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen & Fabio Ghironi, 1998. "European Monetary Unification and International Monetary Cooperation," International Trade 9804001, EconWPA.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2004.
"Communication and exchange rate policy,"
Working Paper Series
0363, European Central Bank.
- D. Begg & F. Giavazzi & Ch. Wyplosz, 1999. "Options for the Future Exchange RatePolicy of the EMU," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 1.
- C. Randall Henning, 2007. "Congress, Treasury, and the Accountability of Exchange Rate Policy: How the 1988 Trade Act Should Be Reformed," Working Paper Series WP07-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jérôme Creel & Éloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007.
"La politique de change de la zone euro ou le hold-up tranquille de la BCE,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 100(1), pages 7-30.
- Jérôme Creel & Eloi Laurent & Jacques Le Cacheux, 2007. "La politique de change de la zone euro ou le hold-up tranquille de la BCE," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2084, Sciences Po.
- Alan Ahearne & JÃ¼rgen von Hagen, 2006. "European perspectives on global imbalances," Working Papers 50, Bruegel.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peterson Institute webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.