Gamblers' Rationality in Parimutuel Soccer Betting
AbstractA model for strategic behaviour in parimutuel gambles with unequal winning-probabilities is developed and applied to gambles based on soccer results. Assuming that the bookmakers' quotas reflect the true probability of each possible result of a soccer game, we are able to derive a formula for the expected payoff of a betting strategy (Tipp). Using recent (1996-99) data from the Austrian games Toto and Torwette we are able to calculate the optimal strategies for 90 Toto and Torwette rounds. It turns out that given the relatively high probability of a rollover, it is optimal to overbet favourite outcomes (as compared to the probability of their occurrence). Comparing optimal with actual gamblers' behaviour we find that overbetting is even more pronounced than predicted by the model. This means that gamblers bet too frequently on relatively probable results whereas less probable results are too infrequently chosen relatively to the optimal strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Advanced Studies in its series Economics Series with number 87.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at/index.php3?id=310
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hauser, U. & Konig, U,, 1999. "Parimutuel Lotteries: Gambler's Behavior and the Demand for Tickets," Papers 9905, Washington St. Louis - School of Business and Political Economy.
- Thaler, Richard H & Ziemba, William T, 1988. "Parimutuel Betting Markets: Racetracks and Lotteries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 161-74, Spring.
- Simon, Jonathan, 1998. "An Analysis of the Distribution of Combinations Chosen by UK National Lottery Players," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 243-76, December.
- Ursula HAUSER & Ulrich KÖNIG, 1999. "Parimutuel Lotteries: Gamblers' Behavior and the Demand for Tickets," Vienna Economics Papers vie9905, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Ursula Hauser-Rethaller & Ulrich König, 2002. "Parimutuel Lotteries: Gamblers' Behavior and the Demand for Tickets," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(2), pages 223-245, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.