Testing for Relative Predictive Accuracy: A Critical Viewpoint
AbstractTests for relative predictive accuracy have become a widespread addendum to forecast comparisons. Many empirical research reports conclude that the difference between the entertained forecasting models is 'insignificant'. This paper collects arguments that cast doubt on the usefulness of relative predictive accuracy tests. The main point is not that test power is too low but that their application is conceptually mistaken. The features are highlighted by means of some Monte Carlo experiments for simple time-series decision problems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for Advanced Studies in its series Economics Series with number 130.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: May 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Phone: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 0
Fax: ++43 - (0)1 - 599 91 - 555
Web page: http://www.ihs.ac.at/index.php3?id=310
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Institute for Advanced Studies - Library, Stumpergasse 56, A-1060 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- H Stekler & R A Fildes, 1999.
"The state of macroeconomic forecasting,"
539557, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Tashman, Leonard J., 2000. "Out-of-sample tests of forecasting accuracy: an analysis and review," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 437-450.
- Robert Kunst, 1997. "Augmented ARCH models for financial time series: stability conditions and empirical evidence," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 575-586.
- Moser, Gabriel & Rumler, Fabio & Scharler, Johann, 2007.
"Forecasting Austrian inflation,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 470-480, May.
- Marcelo Moura, 2010.
"Testing the Taylor Model Predictability for Exchange Rates in Latin America,"
Open Economies Review,
Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 547-564, September.
- Moura, Marcelo, 2008. "Testing the Taylor Model Predictability for Exchange Rates in Latin America," Insper Working Papers wpe_119, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Mésonnier, J-S., 2006. "The Reliability of Macroeconomic Forecasts based on Real Interest Rate Gap Estimates in Real Time: an Assessment for the Euro Area," Working papers 157, Banque de France.
- Silgoner, Maria Antoinette, 2005. "An Overview of European Economic Indicators: Great Variety of Data on the Euro Area, Need for More Extensive Coverage of the New EU Member States," Monetary Policy & the Economy, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 3, pages 66â89.
- Andreas, Brunhart, 2011. "Stock market’s reactions to revelation of tax evasion: an empirical assessment," MPRA Paper 42047, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2012.
- Mariola Pilatowska, 2011. "Information and Prediction Criteria in Selecting the Forecasting Model," Dynamic Econometric Models, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 11, pages 21-40.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Ernest Gnan & Doris Ritzberger-Grünwald, 2005.
"The term structure as a predictor of real activity and inflation in the euro area: a reassessment,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Investigating the relationship between the financial and real economy, volume 22, pages 177-92
Bank for International Settlements.
- Jesús Crespo Cuaresma & Ernest Gnan & Doris Ritzberger-Grünwald, 2005. "The Term Structure as a Predictor of Real Activity and Inflation in the Euro Area: A Reassessment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(2), pages 318-342, July.
- Moura, Marcelo L. , & Lima, Adauto R. S. & Mendonça, Rodrigo M., 2008. "Exchange Rate and Fundamentals: The Case of Brazil," Insper Working Papers wpe_114, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Jean-StÃ©phane MESONNIER, 2007. "The predictive content of the real interest rate gap for macroeconomic variables in the euro area," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 102, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doris Szoncsitz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.