Anchoring the yield curve using survey expectations
AbstractThe dynamic behavior of the term structure of interest rates is difficult to replicate with models, and even models with a proven track record of empirical performance have underperformed since the early 2000s. On the other hand, survey expectations are accurate predictors of yields, but only for very short maturities. We argue that this is partly due to the ability of survey participants to incorporate information about the current state of the economy as well as forward-looking information such as that contained in monetary policy announcements. We show how the informational advantage of survey expectations about short yields can be exploited to improve the accuracy of yield curve forecasts given by a base model. We do so by employing a flexible projection method that anchors the model forecasts to the survey expectations in segments of the yield curve where the informational advantage exists and transmits the superior forecasting ability to all remaining yields. The method implicitly incorporates into yield curve forecasts any information that survey participants have access to, without the need to explicitly model it. We document that anchoring delivers large and significant gains in forecast accuracy for the whole yield curve, with improvements of up to 52% over the years 2000-2012 relative to the class of models that are widely adopted by financial and policy institutions for forecasting the term structure of interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies in its series CeMMAP working papers with number CWP52/13.
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE
Phone: (+44) 020 7291 4800
Fax: (+44) 020 7323 4780
Web page: http://cemmap.ifs.org.uk
More information through EDIRC
Postal: The Institute for Fiscal Studies 7 Ridgmount Street LONDON WC1E 7AE
Other versions of this item:
- Altavilla, Carlo & Giacomini, Raffaella & Ragusa, Giuseppe, 2014. "Anchoring the yield curve using survey expectations," Working Paper Series 1632, European Central Bank.
- Altavilla, Carlo & Giacomini, Raffaella & Ragusa, Giuseppe, 2013. "Anchoring the Yield Curve Using Survey Expectations," CEPR Discussion Papers 9738, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- E4 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-10-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-FOR-2013-10-25 (Forecasting)
- NEP-MON-2013-10-25 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Athanasios Orphanides & Don H. Kim, 2005.
"Term Structure Estimation with Survey Data on Interest Rate Forecasts,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
474, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kim, Don H. & Orphanides, Athanasios, 2012. "Term Structure Estimation with Survey Data on Interest Rate Forecasts," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(01), pages 241-272, February.
- Kim, Don H. & Orphanides, Athanasios, 2005. "Term Structure Estimation with Survey Data on Interest Rate Forecasts," CEPR Discussion Papers 5341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Don H. Kim & Athanasios Orphanides, 2005. "Term structure estimation with survey data on interest rate forecasts," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-48, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Raffaella Giacomini & Barbara Rossi, 2010.
"Forecast comparisons in unstable environments,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(4), pages 595-620.
- Albert Lee Chun, 2005.
"Expectations, Bond Yields and Monetary Policy,"
- Greg Duffee, 2011.
"Information in (and not in) the term structure,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
577, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Whitney Newey & Richard Smith, 2003.
"Higher order properties of GMM and generalised empirical likelihood estimators,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP04/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Whitney K. Newey & Richard J. Smith, 2004. "Higher Order Properties of Gmm and Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(1), pages 219-255, 01.
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2002.
"Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
02-34, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2006. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 337-364, February.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Li, Canlin, 2003. "Forecasting the term structure of government bond yields," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Francis X. Diebold & Canlin Li, 2003. "Forecasting the Term Structure of Government Bond Yields," NBER Working Papers 10048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Tom Doan, . "DMARIANO: RATS procedure to compute Diebold-Mariano Forecast Comparison Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00055, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew Ang & Monika Piazzesi, 2001.
"A No-Arbitrage Vector Autoregression of Term Structure Dynamics with Macroeconomic and Latent Variables,"
NBER Working Papers
8363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ang, Andrew & Piazzesi, Monika, 2003. "A no-arbitrage vector autoregression of term structure dynamics with macroeconomic and latent variables," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 745-787, May.
- Gianni Amisano & Raffaella Giacomini, 2005.
"Comparing Density Forecsts via Weighted Likelihood Ratio Tests,"
ubs0504, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Amisano, Gianni & Giacomini, Raffaella, 2007. "Comparing Density Forecasts via Weighted Likelihood Ratio Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 177-190, April.
- Philippe Mueller & Mikhail Chernov, 2008.
"The Term Structure of Inflation Expectations,"
2008 Meeting Papers
346, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Peter Hoerdahl & Oreste Tristani, 2004.
"A joint econometric model of macroeconomic and term structure dynamics,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
379, Econometric Society.
- Hordahl, Peter & Tristani, Oreste & Vestin, David, 2006. "A joint econometric model of macroeconomic and term-structure dynamics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 405-444.
- Peter Hordahl & Oreste Tristani & David Vestin, 2004. "A joint econometric model of macroeconomic and term structure dynamics," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 48, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Hördahl, Peter & Tristani, Oreste & Vestin, David, 2004. "A joint econometric model of macroeconomic and term structure dynamics," Working Paper Series 0405, European Central Bank.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Michael Stutzer, 1997. "An Information-Theoretic Alternative to Generalized Method of Moments Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(4), pages 861-874, July.
- Laura Coroneo & Domenico Giannone & Michèle Modugno, 2013. "Unspanned Macroeconomic Factors in the Yields Curve," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2013-07, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- John C. Robertson & Ellis W. Tallman & Charles H. Whiteman, 2002.
"Forecasting using relative entropy,"
2002-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Giuseppe Ragusa, 2011.
"Minimum Divergence, Generalized Empirical Likelihoods, and Higher Order Expansions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 406-456.
- Giuseppe Ragusa, 2008. "Minimum Divergence, Generalized Empirical Likelihoods, and Higher Order Expansions," Working Papers 080906, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Guimarães, Rodrigo, 2014. "Expectations, risk premia and information spanning in dynamic term structure model estimation," Bank of England working papers 489, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Seavers).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.