Universities and regional economic growth in Spanish regions
AbstractThis paper examines the main contributions of universities to the economic growth of Spanish regions. It calculates the separate effects of the different university functions on the regional economy, namely the creation of human capital, research and technology transfer. It includes a panel data set with the key variables of university activities and their effects on the economy at provincial level. The econometric estimations are based on information for all 47 public universities and include 34 Spanish provinces. The empirical results suggest that the growth of regional GVA is positively correlated to both the human capital created by universities and the stock of university patents
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB) in its series Working Papers with number 2011/6.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
regional economic development; universities; higher education; human capital; research; technology development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education; Research Institutions
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-04-09 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EDU-2011-04-09 (Education)
- NEP-FDG-2011-04-09 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-GEO-2011-04-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-SBM-2011-04-09 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2011-04-09 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.