Can better governance increase university efficiency?
AbstractThis paper links governance reforms with potential improvements in efficiency in Spanish universities. Taking the classic DEA model as our starting-point, we focus on the study of efficient units to identify the ones that present atypical behaviour (outliers) and should be removed from the analysis, and then to order the remaining institutions in terms of what is known as robust efficiency. Moreover, we use a second stage regression analysis and a three-stage adjusted values non-parametric model to analyse the influence of environmental factors on the efficiency scores obtained. Once environmental factors are taken into account, the remaining unexplained inefficiency is attributed to governance failures. Our results indicate that the observed inefficiency in Spanish public universities is mainly determined by deficient governance. Thus, there is scope for improvements in efficiency through governance reform.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB) in its series Working Papers with number 2010/52.
Length: 40 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Efficiency; governance; universities;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- I23 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Higher Education and Research Institutions
- L31 - Industrial Organization - - Nonprofit Organizations and Public Enterprise - - - Nonprofit Institutions; NGOs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-01-30 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EDU-2011-01-30 (Education)
- NEP-EFF-2011-01-30 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yolanda Fernández Santos & Almudena Martínez Campillo & José Miguel Fernández Fernández, 2013. "Evaluación de la eficiencia y el cambio de productividad en el sistema universitario público español tras la implantación de la LOU," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 205(2), pages 71-98, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.