Regional Distribution of Foreign Manufacturing Investment in Spain. Do Agglomeration Economies Matter?
AbstractThis paper examines the locational determinants of foreign direct investment (FDI) in manufacturing activities in the regions of Spain, with particular attention to agglomeration factors, and the effect of these determinants on three separate industries. The analysis reveals that agglomeration economies are significant determinants of the regional distribution of manufacturing FDI, and that the nature and importance of locational determinants vary according to the specific needs of each industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB) in its series Working Papers with number 2003/6.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Agglomeration economies; Foreign direct investment; Regional manufacturing location;
Other versions of this item:
- Angels Pelegrín Solé, 2004. "Regional distribution of foreign manufacturing investment in Spain. Do agglomeration economies matter?," ERSA conference papers ersa04p682, European Regional Science Association.
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph Friedman & Hung-Gay Fung & Daniel A. Gerlowski & Jonathan Silberman, 1996. "A Note on "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States."," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 367-68, May.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2232, David K. Levine.
- Head, C. Keith & Ries, John C. & Swenson, Deborah L., 1999. "Attracting foreign manufacturing: Investment promotion and agglomeration," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 197-218, March.
- Sergio Mariotti & Lucia Piscitello, 1995. "Information Costs and Location of FDIs within the Host Country: Empirical Evidence from Italy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(4), pages 815-841, December.
- Bartik, Timothy J, 1985. "Business Location Decisions in the United States: Estimates of the Effects of Unionization, Taxes, and Other Characteristics of States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(1), pages 14-22, January.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen López-Pueyo, .
"Foreign direct investment in a process of economic integration: The case of Spanish manufacturing, 1986-1992,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Bajo-Rubio, Oscar & López-Pueyo, Carmen, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in a Process of Economic Integration: The Case of Spanish Manufacturing, 1986-1992," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 17, pages 85-103.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen López-Pueyo, . "Foreing Direct Investment in a Process of Economic Integration: The Case of Spanish Manufacturing, 1986-1992," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 02-02, FEDEA.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen López-Pueyo, 2002. "Foreign Direct Investment in a Process of Economic Integration: The Case of Spanish Manufacturing, 1986-1992," Working Papers 02-02, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Nigel Driffield & Max Munday, 2000. "Industrial Performance, Agglomeration, and Foreign Manufacturing Investment in the UK," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(1), pages 21-37, March.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- Thiran, Jean-Marc & Yamawaki, Hideki, 1995. "Regional and Country Determinants of Locational Decisions : Japanese Multinationals in European Manufacturing," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1995017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Coughlin, Cletus C & Terza, Joseph V & Arromdee, Vachira, 1991. "State Characteristics and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment within the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 675-83, November.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1983. "The Location and Employment Choices of New Firms: An Econometric Model with Discrete and Continuous Endogenous Variables," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 440-49, August.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- Canfei He, 2002. "Information costs, agglomeration economies and the location of foreign direct investment in China1," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1029-1036.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.