Entrepreneurs and New Ideas
AbstractInnovative ideas are novel combinations of productive resources potentially addressing an economic need (Schumpeter, 1926). Even promising ideas can be unprofitable if the proposed combination fails on at least one dimension, e.g., it is technically unfeasible or does not respond to a genuine customer need. To screen good ideas the entrepreneur needs to hire experts who evaluate the idea along their dimensions of expertise. Yet sharing the idea creates the risk that an expert would steal it. In this case, the idea-thief cannot contact any other expert, lest he should in turn steal the idea. Thus idea stealing leads to incomplete screening and is unattractive if the information of the other expert is critical or highly complementary. In such cases the entrepreneur can form a partnership with the experts. Yet very valuable ideas cannot be shared because it is too tempting to steal them.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse in its series IDEI Working Papers with number 347.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision: 0000
Publication status: Published in The RAND Journal of Economics, vol.�39, n°4, Winter 2008, p.�1105-1125.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manufacture des Tabacs, Aile Jean-Jacques Laffont, 21 Allée de Brienne, 31000 TOULOUSE
Phone: +33 (0)5 61 12 85 89
Fax: + 33 (0)5 61 12 86 37
Web page: http://www.idei.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- G31 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Capital Budgeting; Fixed Investment and Inventory Studies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hellmann, Thomas F., 2000.
"Entrepreneurship and the Process of Obtaining Resource Commitments,"
1704, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Thomas Hellmann, 2000. "Entrepreneurship and the Process of Obtaining Resource Commitments," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0399, Econometric Society.
- Anton, James J & Yao, Dennis A, 2002. "The Sale of Ideas: Strategic Disclosure, Property Rights, and Contracting," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(3), pages 513-31, July.
- Lazear, Edward, 2003. "Entrepreneurship," IZA Discussion Papers 760, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Aghion, Philippe & Tirole, Jean, 1994.
"On the Management of Innovation,"
IDEI Working Papers
36, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1992. "The Principal-Agent Relationship with an Informed Principal, II: Common Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 1-42, January.
- Cestone, Giacinta & White, Lucy, 2002.
"Anti-Competitive Financial Contracting: The Design of Financial Claims,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3182, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giacinta Cestone & Lucy White, 2003. "Anticompetitive Financial Contracting: The Design of Financial Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2109-2142, October.
- Cestone, G. & White, L., 1999. "Anti-Competitive Financial Contracting: the Design of Financial Claims," Papers 99.525, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Giacinta Cestone & Lucy White, . "Anti-Competitive Financial Contracting: The Design Of Financial Claims," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 453.00, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Aghion, Philippe & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "The Management of Innovation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1185-1209, November.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & David Martimort, 2000.
"Mechanism Design with Collusion and Correlation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 309-342, March.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George W. Fenn & Nellie Liang & Stephen Prowse, 1995. "The economics of the private equity market," Staff Studies 168, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kremer, Michael, 1993. "The O-Ring Theory of Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 551-75, August.
- Stanley M. Besen & Leo J. Raskind, 1991. "An Introduction to the Law and Economics of Intellectual Property," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 3-27, Winter.
- Bayar, Onur & Chemmanur, Thomas J. & Liu, Mark H., 2011. "A theory of equity carve-outs and negative stub values under heterogeneous beliefs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 616-638, June.
- Dominique Demougin & Oliver Fabel, 2006.
"The Division of Ownership in New Ventures,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2006-047, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Oliver Fabel & Dominique Demougin, 2004. "The Division of Ownership in New Ventures," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 04-03, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Thomas Hellman & Enrico Perotti, 2010.
"The Circulation of Ideas in Firms and Markets,"
2010.47, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Alexandre Gaudeul, 2004. "Open Source Software Development Patterns and License Terms," Industrial Organization 0409008, EconWPA.
- Andres Almazan & Javier Suarez & Sheridan Titman, 2009.
"Firms' Stakeholders and the Costs of Transparency,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(3), pages 871-900, 09.
- Walter Buhr, 2009. "Infrastructure of the Market Economy," Volkswirtschaftliche DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 132-09, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Casamatta, Catherine & Haritchabalet, Carole, 2007.
"Experience, Screening and Syndication in Venture Capital Investments,"
IDEI Working Papers
443, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Casamatta, Catherine & Haritchabalet, Carole, 2007. "Experience, screening and syndication in venture capital investments," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 368-398, July.
- Herschel Grossman, 2000.
"Inventors and Pirates:Creative Activity and Intellectual Property Rights,"
2000-14, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Herschel I., 2005. "Inventors and pirates: creative activity and intellectual property rights," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 269-285, June.
- Herschel I. Grossman, 2000. "Inventors and Pirates: Creative Activity and Intellectual Property Rights," NBER Working Papers 7898, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Prüfer, J., 2009.
2009-33, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Herbst, Patrick & Walz, Uwe, 2009. "The design of vertical R&D collaborations," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/06, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 2005.
"Modes of Communication,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(6), pages 1217-1238, December.
- Marini, Marco A., 2005. "The value of a new idea: knowledge transmission, workers' mobility and market structure," MPRA Paper 1687, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2006.
- Tykvova, Tereza, 2007.
"Who chooses whom? Syndication, skills and reputation,"
Review of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 5-28.
- Tykvová, Tereza, 2005. "Who Chooses Whom? Syndication, Skills and Reputation," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-74, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bourjade, Sylvain & Jullien, Bruno, 2004. "Expertise and Bias in Decision Making," MPRA Paper 7251, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.