Mobility and Entrepreneurship in Ecuador: A Pseudo-Panel Approach
AbstractDoes entrepreneurship contribute to improving social mobility in Ecuador? This paper constructs a pseudo-panel to analyze the dynamic effect of entrepreneurship on Ecuadorian household incomes during the period 2002-2010. Using three estimation scenarios, the paper finds a significant level of unconditional mobility and an important effect of entrepreneurship (conditional mobility).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 4783.
Date of creation: Jul 2012
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J16 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of Gender; Non-labor Discrimination
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Easterly, William, 2000.
"the middle class consensus and economic development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2346, The World Bank.
- Easterly, William, 2001. " The Middle Class Consensus and Economic Development," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 317-35, December.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Jose Ernesto Amoros, 2008.
"Entrepreneurship and Competitiveness Dynamics in Latin America,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2008-059, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Zoltan Acs & José Amorós, 2008. "Entrepreneurship and competitiveness dynamics in Latin America," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 305-322, October.
- Heckman, James J. & Robb, Richard Jr., 1985. "Alternative methods for evaluating the impact of interventions : An overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 239-267.
- Scott Shane, 2009. "Why encouraging more people to become entrepreneurs is bad public policy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 141-149, August.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Homi Kharas, 2010. "The Emerging Middle Class in Developing Countries," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 285, OECD Publishing.
- Verbeek, M.J.C.M. & Nijman, T.E., 1990.
"Can cohort data be treated as genuine panel data?,"
1990-64, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Verbeek, M. & Nijman, T., 1990. "Can Cohort Data Be Treated As Genuine Panel Data," Papers 9064, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Nijman, T.E. & Verbeek, M.J.C.M., 1992. "Can cohort data be treated as genuine panal data?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153281, Tilburg University.
- Hugo Ñopo & Giorgina Pizzolitto & José Cuesta, 2007.
"Using Pseudo-Panels to Measure Income Mobility in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4557, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Jose Cuesta & Hugo Ñopo & Georgina Pizzolitto, 2011. "Using Pseudo‐Panels To Measure Income Mobility In Latin America," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(2), pages 224-246, 06.
- Cuesta, Jose & Nopo, Hugo & Pizzolitto, Georgina, 2011. "Using Pseudo-Panels to Measure Income Mobility in Latin America," IZA Discussion Papers 5449, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vincenzo Quadrini, 1997.
"Entrepreneurship, saving and social mobility,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
116, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Matthias Doepke & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2005. "Social Class and the Spirit of Capitalism," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 516-524, 04/05.
- Unger, Jens M. & Rauch, Andreas & Frese, Michael & Rosenbusch, Nina, 2011. "Human capital and entrepreneurial success: A meta-analytical review," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 341-358, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luis Daniel Martinez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.