Credit, Labor Informality and Firm Performance in Colombia
AbstractThis paper explores the links between labor formality, access to credit and firm performance in Colombia using Annual Manufacturing Survey data for the period 2000-2009. A significant though small relationship is found between access to credit and informality. The results suggest that a 10 percent increase in the ratio of credit to sectoral output increases labor formality between 0. 76 and 1. 14 percentage points. This effect vanishes as a firm’s financial constraint increases. The paper also reports a strong correlation between labor formality and firm performance measured as output and employment growth. A one percentage point increase in labor formality is associated with an 8. 5 percent increase in output and an 11 percent increase in employment growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 4773.
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E26 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Informal Economy; Underground Economy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-IUE-2012-07-14 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-LAM-2012-07-14 (Central & South America)
- NEP-MAC-2012-07-14 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D'Erasmo, Pablo N. & Moscoso Boedo, Hernan J., 2012.
"Financial structure, informality and development,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 286-302.
- Hernan J Moscoso Boedo & Pablo N D’Erasmo, 2009. "Financial Structure, Informality and Development," Virginia Economics Online Papers 374, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Hernan Moscoso Boedo & Pablo D'Erasmo, 2010. "Financial Structure, Informality and Development," 2010 Meeting Papers 319, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Catão, Luis A. V. & Pagés, Carmen & Rosales, Maria Fernanda, 2009.
"Financial Dependence, Formal Credit, and Informal Jobs: New Evidence from Brazilian Household Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4609, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Luis Catão & Carmen Pagés-Serra & María Fernanda Rosales, 2009. "Financial Dependence, Formal Credit and Informal Jobs: New Evidence from Brazilian Household Data," IDB Publications 4123, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Luis Catao & Carmen Pages & Maria Fernanda Rosales, 2009. "Financial Dependence, Formal Credit and Informal Jobs - New Evidence from Brazilian Household Data," Research Department Publications 4642, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Legal Determinants of External Finance,"
19443, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- RAFAEL LaPORTA & FLORENCIO LOPEZ-de-SILANES & ANDREI SHLEIFER & ROBERT W. VISHNY, . "Legal Determinants of External Finance,"," CRSP working papers 324, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," NBER Working Papers 5879, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997. "Legal Determinants of External Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1788, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ross Levine, 1997.
"Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(2), pages 688-726, June.
- Levine, Ross, 1996. "Financial development and economic growth : views and agenda," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1678, The World Bank.
- Marcela Eslava & John Haltiwanger & Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2006. "Plant Turnover and Structural Reforms in Colombia," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(si), pages 3.
- Ceyhun Elgin & Oguz Oztunali, 2013. "Institutions, Informal Economy and Economic Development," Working Papers 2013/03, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luis Daniel Martinez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.