Gender Segregation in the Workplace and Wage Gaps: Evidence from Urban Mexico 1994-2004
AbstractThis paper analyzes the evolution of gender segregation in the workplace in Mexico between 1994 and 2004, using a matching comparisons technique to explore the role of individual and family characteristics in determining gender segregation and wage gaps. The results suggest that the complete elimination of hierarchical segregation would reduce the observed gender wage gaps by 5 percentage points, while the elimination of occupational segregation would have increased gender wage gaps by approximately 6 percentage points. The results also indicate that the role of occupational segregation in wage gaps has been increasing in magnitude during the period of analysis, while the role ofhierarchical segregation in the determination of wage gaps has been decreasing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 4579.
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Sebastián Calónico & Hugo R. Ñopo, 2008. "Gender Segregation in the Workplace and Wage Gaps: Evidence from Urban Mexico 1994-2004," IDB Publications 6742, Inter-American Development Bank.
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-10-21 (Development)
- NEP-LAB-2008-10-21 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2001.
"Understanding International Differences in the Gender Pay Gap,"
NBER Working Papers
8200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francine D. Blau & Lawrence M. Kahn, 2003. "Understanding International Differences in the Gender Pay Gap," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(1), pages 106-144, January.
- Airola, Jim & Juhn, Chinhui, 2005.
"Wage Inequality in Post-Reform Mexico,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1525, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pagan, Jose A & Sanchez, Susana M, 2000. "Gender Differences in Labor Market Decisions: Evidence from Rural Mexico," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 48(3), pages 619-37, April.
- Hugo Nopo, 2003.
"Matching as a Tool to Decompose Wage Gaps,"
Middlebury College Working Paper Series
0406, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Cynthia J. Brown & Jose A. Pagan & Eduardo Rodrφguez Oreggia y Roman, 1999. "Occupational attainment and gender earnings differentials in Mexico," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 53(1), pages 123-135, October.
- Suzanne Duryea & Sebastián Galiani & Claudia Piras & Hugo R. Ñopo, 2007.
"The Educational Gender Gap in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
6721, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Suzanne Duryea & Sebastian Galiani & Hugo Ñopo & Claudia Piras, 2007. "The Educational Gender Gap in Latin America and the Caribbean," Research Department Publications 4510, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Macpherson, David A & Hirsch, Barry T, 1995. "Wages and Gender Composition: Why Do Women's Jobs Pay Less?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(3), pages 426-71, July.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Nopo, Hugo & Daza, Nancy & Ramos, Johanna, 2011. "Gender Earnings Gaps in the World," IZA Discussion Papers 5736, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.