Discrimination in Latin America: An Elephant in the Room?
AbstractThis paper surveys evidence on discrimination in Latin America and shows that there is a widespread perception of discrimination, especially against the poor, the uneducated and those who lack connections. The channels through which discrimination occurs may be built on the basis of economic factors. However, while perception surveys may be informative, they are less than ideal at helping pinpoint the extent and mechanisms related. Recent experimental evidence suggests little room for discriminatory practices in the region. This puzzle, where individuals perceive discrimination is in the air, but few act discriminatorily, is consistent with an explanation about stereotyping that vanishes when information flows operate well.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 4536.
Date of creation: Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Bravo Urrutia & Sergio Urzúa & Claudia Sanhueza, 2007. "An Experimental Study About Labor Market Discrimination: Gender, Social Class And Neighborhood," Working Papers wp263, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Hugo Nopo & Martin Moreno & Jaime Saavedra & Maximo Torero, 2003.
"Gender and Racial Discrimination in Hiring: A Pseudo Audit Study for Three Selected Occupations in Metropolitan Lima,"
Middlebury College Working Paper Series
0404, Middlebury College, Department of Economics.
- Hugo Nopo, 2004. "Gender and Racial Discrimination in Hiring: A Pseudo Audit Study for Three Selected Occupations in Metropolitan Lima," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 321, Econometric Society.
- Moreno, Martin & Nopo, Hugo & Saavedra, Jaime & Torero, Maximo, 2004. "Gender and Racial Discrimination in Hiring: A Pseudo Audit Study for Three Selected Occupations in Metropolitan Lima," IZA Discussion Papers 979, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Máximo Torero & Marco Castillo & Ragan Petrie, 2008. "Ethnic and Social Barriers to Cooperation: Experiments Studying the Extent and Nature of Discrimination in Urban Peru," Research Department Publications 3246, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Sendhil Mullainathan & Marianne Bertrand, 2001. "Do People Mean What They Say? Implications for Subjective Survey Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 67-72, May.
- Juan Camilo Cardenas & Natalia Candelo & Alejandro Gaviria & Sandra Polania & Rajiv Sethi, 2008.
"Discrimination in the Provision of Social Services to the Poor: A Field Experimental Study,"
Research Department Publications
3247, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Juan Camilo Cárdenas & Natalia Candelo & Alejandro Gaviria & Sandra Polania, 2007. "Discrimination in the provision of social services to the poor: a field experimental study," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 003885, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- David Bravo & Claudia Sanhueza & Sergio Urzua, 2008. "An Experimental Study of Labor Market Discrimination: Gender, Social Class and Neighborhood in Chile," Research Department Publications 3242, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Nestor Gandelman & Hugo Ñopo & Laura Ripani, 2007. "Traditional Excluding Forces: A Review of the Quantitative Literature on the Economic Situation of Indigenous Peoples, Afro-Descendants, and People Living with Disability," Research Department Publications 4545, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Rebecca M. Blank, .
"Race and Gender in the Labor Market,"
IPR working papers
98-18, Institute for Policy Resarch at Northwestern University.
- P. A. Riach & J. Rich, 2002. "Field Experiments of Discrimination in the Market Place," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 480-518, November.
- Eduardo Gandelman & Nestor Gandelman & Julie Rothschild, 2008. "Gender Differentials in Judicial Proceedings: Field Evidence from Housing-Related Cases in Uruguay," Research Department Publications 3250, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Hugo Ñopo & Alberto Gonzales, 2008. "Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Guatemala from a Matching Comparisons Perspective," Research Department Publications 4587, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Hugo Ñopo & Alberto Gonzales, 2008. "Brechas salariales por género y etnicidad en Guatemala desde una perspectiva de comparaciones emparejadas," Research Department Publications 4588, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.