Debt Instruments and Policies in the New Millennium: New Markets and New Opportunities
AbstractSpreads on sovereign bonds are at an all-time low, at least since the current era of emerging economy bond markets began in the 1990s. This paper examines the current state of the international and domestic bond markets and asks whether the current favorable trends will constitute a durable change or a temporary fad and discusses what the IDB and other international financial institutions can do to help consolidate the positive trends and prevent new sudden stop episodes in Latin America.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 4456.
Date of creation: Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Martín González Rozada, 2005.
"Global Factors and Emerging Market Spreads,"
Business School Working Papers
globalfactorsspreads, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Paolo Mauro & Nathan Sussman & Yishay Yafeh, 2002.
"Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 695-733, May.
- Yishay Yafeh & Paolo Mauro & Nathan Sussman, 2000. "Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now," IMF Working Papers 00/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Paolo Mauro & Yishay Yafeh & Nathan Sussman, 2001. "Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe03, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Paolo Mauro, 2000. "Emerging Market Spreads: Then Versus Now," Economics Series Working Papers 2001-FE-03, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2008.
"Crises in Emerging Markets Economies: A Global Perspective,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Kevin Cowan & Sebastián Edwards & Rodrigo O. Valdés & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmid (ed.), Current Account and External Financing, edition 1, volume 12, chapter 3, pages 085-115
Central Bank of Chile.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 2005. "Crises in Emerging Market Economies: A Global Perspective," NBER Working Papers 11305, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo Calvo, 2007. "Crises in Emerging Market Economies: A Global Perspective," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 441, Central Bank of Chile.
- Marina-Eliza Spaliara & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2009.
"The role of bond finance in firms' survival during the Asian crisis,"
Discussion Paper Series
2009_17, Department of Economics, Loughborough University.
- Marina-Eliza Spaliara & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2010. "The Role of Bond Finance in Firms' Survival During the Asian Crisis," Working Papers 032010, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- World Bank, 2009. "Peru - Developing New Structured Financial Products to Channel Savings Towards Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) Growth," World Bank Other Operational Studies 3039, The World Bank.
- Avellaneda-Kantt, Maria Belen, 2012.
"Perspectiva Macroeconomica y Tendencias en el Mercado de Deuda Latinoamericano: ¿El viraje hacia instrumentos de Fondeo Domesticos?
[Macroeconomic Outlook and Trends in Latin American Debt Capital," MPRA Paper 44271, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 16 Jan 2013.
- Pipat Luengnaruemitchai & Barry J. Eichengreen, 2006.
"Bond Markets As Conduits for Capital Flows: How Does Asia Compare?,"
IMF Working Papers
06/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2008. "Bond Markets as Conduits for Capital Flows: How Does Asia Compare?," NBER Chapters, in: International Financial Issues in the Pacific Rim: Global Imbalances, Financial Liberalization, and Exchange Rate Policy (NBER-EASE Volume 17), pages 267-313 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2006. "Bond Markets as Conduits for Capital Flows: How Does Asia Compare?," NBER Working Papers 12408, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansson, Anders C., 2008. "Interdependencies among Asian bond markets," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 101-116, April.
- Harald Habermann, 2010. "Financial Development in Mexico between 1975 and 2009," Zeitschrift für Nachwuchswissenschaftler - German Journal for Young Researchers, Zeitschrift für Nachwuchswissenschaftler - German Journal for Young Researchers, vol. 2(1), pages 62-71, March.
- Jamel Boukhatem, 2009. "Essai sur les déterminants empiriques de développement des marchés obligataires," EconomiX Working Papers 2009-32, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Augusto de la Torre & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2007. "Emerging Capital Markets and Globalization : The Latin American Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7187, March.
- Daniel, L., 2008. "Foreign investors’ participation in emerging market economies’ domestic bond markets," Quarterly selection of articles - Bulletin de la Banque de France, Banque de France, issue 12, pages 61-77, Summer.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.