Natural Disasters in Latin America and the Caribbean: An Overview of Risk
AbstractThis paper integrates information from both economics and the physical sciences to survey the effects of natural disasters in the region. A first section surveys the human and economic impact of natural disasters in the region at both the household and aggregate levels, noting both the geographical distribution of disaster risk and its long-term implications for development. A second section reviews types of disasters prevalent in the region, and future disaster risks, as well as the socio-economic sources of vulnerability to disasters resulting from development and migration patterns. A third section discusses risk management strategies at the household and community level, with public policy options and proposals for emergency response and finding an appropriate mix of local, national and market-based solutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 4233.
Date of creation: Oct 2000
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geoff Bright, 1999. "Assessing the Effects of Hazards and Interventions on Farm Household Liquidity in Sudan - A Preliminary Accounting Model," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 83-92.
- Robert E. B. Lucas, 1998. "Internal Migration and Urbanization: Recent Contributions and New Evidence," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 91, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Kinsey, Bill & Burger, Kees & Gunning, Jan Willem, 1998. "Coping with drought in Zimbabwe: Survey evidence on responses of rural households to risk," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 89-110, January.
- James W. Mjelde & Harvey S.J. Hill & John F. Griffiths, 1998. "A Review of Current Evidence on Climate Forecasts and Their Economic Effects in Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1089-1095.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Miguel Székely, 1999. "An Asset-Based Approach to the Analysis of Poverty in Latin America," Research Department Publications 3075, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Colin F. Camerer & Howard Kunreuther, 1989. "Decision processes for low probability events: Policy implications," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 565-592.
- Jan G. Laarman, 1995. "Government Policies Affecting Forests in Latin America: An Agenda for Discussion," IDB Publications 25498, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Tobias N. Rasmussen, 2004. "Macroeconomic Implications of Natural Disasters in the Caribbean," IMF Working Papers 04/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Hochrainer, Stefan, 2009. "Assessing the macroeconomic impacts of natural disasters : are there any ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4968, The World Bank.
- Mechler, Reinhard, 2009. "Disasters and economic welfare : can national savings help explain post-disaster changes in consumption ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4988, The World Bank.
- Diego Arias & Katia Covarrubias, 2006. "Agricultural Insurance in Mesoamerica: An Opportunity to Deepen Rural Financial Markets," IDB Publications 36538, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Diego Arias & Katia Covarrubias, 2006. "Seguros agropecuarios en Mesoamérica: Una oportunidad para desarrollar el mercado financiero rural," IDB Publications 50218, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kari Keipi & Sergio Mora-Castro & Pedro Bastidas, 2005. "Gestión de riesgo de amenazas naturales en proyectos de desarrollo: Lista de preguntas de verificación ("Checklist")," IDB Publications 29878, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kari Keipi & Justin Tyson, 2002. "Planning and Financial Protection to Survive Disasters," IDB Publications 28338, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Lopez-Calva, Luis Felipe & Ortiz-Juarez, Eduardo, 2009. "Evidence and Policy Lessons on the Links between Disaster Risk and Poverty in Latin America," MPRA Paper 18342, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.