Quality of life in urban neighborhoods in Metropolitan Lima, Peru
AbstractThis paper presents the results of the estimations of a quality of life (QoL) index focusing on three dimensions: individual factors, urban factors, and civil society. The study was mainly based on information collected through a survey applied in three districts of Lima: La Victoria, Los Olivos and Villa El Salvador. These districts are relatively similar in terms of income, although Villa El Salvador has a larger percentage of poor households. The results show that various indicators have different impacts on QoL. Two findings stand out. First, variables related to participation in civil society are statistically significant in all specifications used. Second, in La Victoria and Los Olivos, QoL is determined largely by indicators in the individual sphere, while the civil society sphere is more important in Villa El Salvador. These results are consistent with the collective action tradition of the Villa El Salvador district and with the market pattern of growth of Los Olivos.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 3261.
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Lorena Alcázar & Raúl Andrade, 2008. "Quality of Life in Urban Neighborhoods in Metropolitan Lima, Peru," IDB Publications 43938, Inter-American Development Bank.
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-HAP-2008-10-21 (Economics of Happiness)
- NEP-URE-2008-10-21 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matias Cattaneo & Sebastian Galiani & Paul Gertler & Sebastian Martinez & Rocio Titiunik, 2008.
"Housing, Health and Happiness,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0074, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Kahn, Matthew & Tracy, Joseph, 1999. "Quality of life and environmental comparisons," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, in: P. C. Cheshire & E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 37, pages 1413-1454 Elsevier.
- Dionysia Lambiri & Bianca Biagi & Vicente Royuela, 2007.
"Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 1-25, October.
- B. Biagi & D. Lambiri & V. Royuela, 2006. "Quality of Life in the Economic and Urban Economic Literature," Working Paper CRENoS 200610, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Anastasia Efklides & Maria Varsami & Ioanna Mitadi & Dimitrios Economidis, 2006. "Health Condition and Quality of Life in Older Adults: Adaptation of Qolie-89," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 76(1), pages 35-53, 03.
- Dwayne Baker & Robert Palmer, 2006. "Examining the Effects of Perceptions of Community and Recreation Participation on Quality of Life," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 75(3), pages 395-418, 02.
- Rafael Di Tella & Robert MacCulloch, 2006. "Some Uses of Happiness Data in Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-46, Winter.
- van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Baarsma, Barbara E., 2004.
"Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1096, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bernard M. S. van Praag & Barbara E. Baarsma, 2005. "Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(500), pages 224-246, 01.
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & B.E. Baarsma, 2004. "Using Happiness Surveys to value Intangibles; the Case of Airport Noise," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-024/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & Barbara E. Baarsma, 2004. "Using Happiness Surveys to Value Intangibles: The Case of Airport Noise," CESifo Working Paper Series 1163, CESifo Group Munich.
- van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada, 2007. "Happiness Quantified: A Satisfaction Calculus Approach," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199226146.
- Annette Spellerberg & Denis Huschka & Roland Habich, 2007. "Quality of life in rural areas: processes of divergence and convergence," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 83(2), pages 283-307, September.
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, 2004.
"Valuing Public Goods: The Life Satisfaction Approach,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1158, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, 2004. "Valuing Public Goods: The Life Satisfaction Approach," CREMA Working Paper Series 2004-11, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Bruno S. Frey & Simon Luechinger & Alois Stutzer, . "Valuing Public Goods: The Life Satisfaction Approach," IEW - Working Papers 184, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Slottje, Daniel J, 1991. "Measuring the Quality of Life across Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(4), pages 684-93, November.
- Habib Tiliouine & Robert Cummins & Melanie Davern, 2006. "Measuring Wellbeing in Developing Countries: The Case of Algeria," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 75(1), pages 1-30, 01.
- Andrés Ham Gonzalez, 2011. "La Calidad de Vida en los Barrios de Buenos Aires: Estimaciones Hedónicas de la Valuación de los Amenities Urbano y su Distribución Espacial," Department of Economics, Working Papers 088, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luis Daniel Martinez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.