Child Malnutrition, Social Development and Health Services in the Andean Region
AbstractThis paper analyzes the social, ethnic and regional determinants of child malnutrition, as well as the effects of access to health services in the Andean region, by comparing conditions in Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia. These three countries are marked by a high prevalence of stunting and by wide socioeconomic, regional and ethnic disparities. The analysis used Demographic and Health Survey (DHS) data from Peru (1992, 1996 and 2000) and Bolivia (1997), and Living Standards Measurement Study (LSMS) data for Ecuador (1998). The paper adopts an international comparative perspective, analyzing Ecuador in particular detail.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department in its series Research Department Publications with number 3189.
Date of creation: Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Larrea Carlos & Montalvo Pedro & Ricaurte Ana, 2005. "Child Malnutrition, Social Development and Health Services in the Andean Region," HEW 0509011, EconWPA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oded Galor & David Mayer-Foulkes, 2004. "Food for Thought: Basic Needs and Persistent Educational Inequality," GE, Growth, Math methods 0410002, EconWPA.
- Vicente Fretes-Cibils & Marcelo M. Giugale & José Roberto López-Cálix, 2003. "Ecuador : An Economic and Social Agenda in the New Millennium," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14613, The World Bank.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Watanabe, Naoko, 2000. "Socioeconomic inequalities in child malnutrition in the developing world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2434, The World Bank.
- Ramirez, N.F. & Gamboa, L.F. & Bedi, A.S. & Sparrow, R.A., 2012. "Child malnutrition and antenatal care: Evidence from three Latin American countries," ISS Working Papers - General Series 536, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Behrman, Jere R. & Skoufias, Emmanuel, 2004.
"Correlates and determinants of child anthropometrics in Latin America: background and overview of the symposium,"
Economics & Human Biology,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 335-351, December.
- Jere R. Behrman & Emmanuel Skoufias, 2004. "Correlates and Determinants of Child Anthropometrics in Latin America: Background and Overview of the Symposium," Research Department Publications 3191, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- World Bank, 2007. "Nutritional Failure in Ecuador : Causes, Consequences, and Solutions," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6651, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luis Daniel Martinez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.