The Impact of Training policies in Argentina: An Evaluation of Proyecto Joven
AbstractThis paper evaluates Proyecto Joven, a training program targeted to poor young individuals in Argentina. We used a non-experimental evaluation methodology to answer the following set of questions: (a) Did the program increase the probability of employment? (b) Did it increase the probability of a formal employment? (c) Did it increase the labor income of trainees? The methodology we used is the matching estimators approach calculating first propensity scores for program participation and then the matching estimators to calculate the program impact. As it has been shown before, estimated impacts are not invariant to the specification of the chosen neighbor in the matching techniques. The impact of the program is negligible in terms of employment and income, but not in terms of formality, which was an important achievement in the case of Argentina, since labor informality was increasing economy wide and more specifically for the group targeted by Proyecto Joven.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE) in its series OVE Working Papers with number 1506.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sergio Urzúa & Esteban Puentes, 2010. "La evidencia del impacto de los programas de capacitación en el desempeño en el mercado laboral," IDB Publications 38038, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Veronica González & Pablo Ibarrarán & Alessandro Maffioli & Sandra Rozo, 2009. "The Impact of Technology Adoption on Agricultural Productivity: The Case of the Dominican Republic," OVE Working Papers 0509, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
- Francisca Henriquez, 2009. "Microcrédito y su Impacto: Un Acercamiento con Datos Chilenos," OVE Working Papers 0309, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.