Getting it Right: What to Reform in International Financial Markets
AbstractThis paper provides an overview and assessment of reform initiatives, both those currently on the table and those that are not but should be. The intent is to clarify the logic behind these proposals and assess them from a Latin American perspective. For each core initiative examined in this paper, whether currently on the table or proposed for consideration, the authors first identify which of the main distortions, identified in the companion paper, it addresses. The overall conclusion is that the current approach to reforming the international financial architecture is not appropriate for the task and a paradigm shift is required. This paper was presented at the Tenth International Forum on Latin American Perspectives in Paris, November 25-26, 1999.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 67438.
Date of creation: Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Private Sector; Financial management; Financial Markets; capital market; international finance; financial support;
Other versions of this item:
- Ricardo Hausmann & Eduardo Fernández-Arias, 2000. "Getting it Right: What to Reform in International Financial Markets," Research Department Publications 4223, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1998.
"Sovereign Debt: Is to Forgive to Forget,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
209, David K. Levine.
- Bulow, J. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," Papers 411, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Bulow, J. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," Working papers 8813, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," NBER Working Papers 2623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:inadeb:402 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999.
"International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability,"
NBER Working Papers
7265, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1999. "International Institutions for Reducing Global Financial Instability," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 21-42, Fall.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999.
"International Initiatives to Bring Stability to Financial Integration,"
6454, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Ricardo Hausmann, 1999. "International Initiatives to Bring Stability to Financial Integration," Research Department Publications 4174, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Buiter, Willem H & Sibert, Anne C, 1999. "UDROP: A Contribution to the New International Financial Architecture," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 227-47, July.
- Robert Litan & William Isaac & William Taylor, 1994. "Financial Regulation," NBER Chapters, in: American Economic Policy in the 1980s, pages 519-572 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raffer, Kunibert, 1990. "Applying chapter 9 insolvency to international debts: An economically efficient solution with a human face," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-311, February.
- Fischer, S. & Cooper, R.N. & Dornbusch, R. & Garber, P.M. & Massad, C. & Polak, J.J. & Rodrik, D. & Tarapore, S.S., 1998. "Should the IMF Pursue Capital-Account Convertibility?," Princeton Essays in International Economics 207, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Buiter, Willem H & Sibert, Anne, 1999. "UDROP: A Small Contribution to the New International Financial Architecture," CEPR Discussion Papers 2138, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- John C. Anyanwu, 2012. "Why Does Foreign Direct Investment Go Where It Goes?: New Evidence From African Countries," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 13(2), pages 425-462, November.
- Diehl, Markus & Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2001. "Lehren aus der Asienkrise : wirtschaftspolitische Reaktionen und fortbestehende Reformdefizite," Kiel Discussion Papers 373, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Nunnenkamp, Peter, 2000. "Boom, bust, recovery - what next in private capital flows to emerging markets?," Kiel Discussion Papers 362, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luis Daniel Martinez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.