Corporate Governance in Water and Sanitation Enterprises
AbstractThis technical note contains a methodology to promote the use of good corporate governance practices for water and sanitation enterprises (especially SOEs) in Latin America and the Caribbean, based on IDB experiences and other relevant cases from network utilities. The methodology evaluates how corporate governance practices are currently being applied in those firms, and facilitates progressive advancement in successive stages. The methodology is rooted in theory in order to ensure that the governance of water and sanitation enterprises contributes to the efficient and sustainable use of resources, so that the social investment in water and sanitation in the region may play a part in the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 66858.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Water Supply and Sanitation; Public Utilities; Business Development; agency costs; SOEs; governance practices; corporate governance indicators;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1997.
" A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(2), pages 737-83, June.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," NBER Working Papers 5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel Artana & Fernando Navajas & Santiago Urbiztondo, 1997. "La regulación económica en las concesiones de agua potable y desagues cloacales en Buenos Aires y Corrientes, Argentina," Research Department Publications 3011, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Antonio Vives & Angela Paris & Juan Benavides & Peter Raymond & Darío Quiroga & Javier Marcus, 2006. "Financial Structuring of Infrastructure Projects in Public-Private Partnerships: An Application to Water Projects," IDB Publications 11259, Inter-American Development Bank.
- NAUGES CÃ©line & VAN DEN BERG Caroline, 2007.
"How "natural" are natural monopolies in the water supply and sewerage sector? Case studies from developing and transition economies,"
LERNA Working Papers
07.05.226, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Nauges, Celine & van den Berg, Caroline, 2007. "How"natural"are natural monopolies in the water supply and sewerage sector ? Case studies from developing and transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4137, The World Bank.
- Sílvia Mourthé Valadares & Ricardo Pereira Câmara Leal, 2000. "Ownership And Control Structure Of Brazilian Companies," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 3(1), pages 29-56.
- Rama, Martin & Newman, Constance, 2002. "Downsizing and productivity gains in the public and private sectors of Colombia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2770, The World Bank.
- Tirole, Jean, 1999.
CEPR Discussion Papers
2086, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fernando Lefort & Eduardo Walker, 2000. "Corporate Governance: Challenges For Latin America," Abante, Escuela de Administracion. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 2(2), pages 99-111.
- Charles Oman & Daniel Blume, 2005. "Corporate Governance: A Development Challenge," OECD Development Centre Policy Insights 3, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.