Challenges for Low-Carbon Agriculture and Forest Conservation in Brazil
AbstractThis paper discusses the feedbacks between climate change, deforestation, and agricultural expansion and presents scenarios of agricultural demand and forest conservation and restoration policies in Brazil. In addition, it discusses the implications of these scenarios for food and befoul supply, the provision of ecosystem services, and climate change mitigation. Modeling these scenarios provides an integrated assessment of plausible pathways for achieving the goals of the National Climate Change Plan, for making an objective source of information available for the debate on the Forest Code, and for supporting Brazil's cropland expansion plan as well as anticipating potential conflicts.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 64798.
Date of creation: Feb 2012
Date of revision:
Climate Change; Forests & Forestry; Plant; Animal; & Food Production; Biodiversity; Natural Resources Management; Climate Change; Forest Conservation; Brazil;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-04-10 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2012-04-10 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-RES-2012-04-10 (Resource Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edson Paulo Domingues & Aline Souza Magalhães & Ricardo Machado Ruiz, 2008. "Cenários de mudanças climáticas e agricultura no Brasil: impactos econômicos na Região Nordeste," Textos para DiscussÃ£o Cedeplar-UFMG td340, Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Wunder, Sven, 2008. "Payments for environmental services and the poor: concepts and preliminary evidence," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 279-297, June.
- de Mendonca, Mario Jorge Cardoso & Vera Diaz, Maria del Carmen & Nepstad, Daniel & Seroa da Motta, Ronaldo & Alencar, Ane & Gomes, Joao Carlos & Ortiz, Ramon Arigoni, 2004. "The economic cost of the use of fire in the Amazon," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 89-105, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.