Saving Behavior in Latin America: Overview and Policy Issues
AbstractThis paper reviews and contributes to the policy debate on the issue of saving in Latin America, presenting an alternative perspective on the relationship between saving and growth, saving and inflation stabilization and structural reform, and saving and capital flows.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 6427.
Date of creation: May 1997
Date of revision:
Private Sector; Economic Development & Growth; Capital flows; capital inflows; financial depth; lending; inflation stabilization; median inflation; saving rates; national saving; WP-346;
Other versions of this item:
- Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann & Ernesto Talvi, 1997. "Saving Behavior in Latin America: Overview and Policy Issues," Research Department Publications 4070, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:inadeb:310 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christopher D. Carroll & David N. Weil, 1993.
"Saving and growth: a reinterpretation,"
Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section
140, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Weil, David N., 1994. "Saving and growth: a reinterpretation," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 133-192, June.
- Talvi, Ernesto, 1997. "Exchange rate-based stabilization with endogenous fiscal response," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 59-75, October.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 2001.
"Financial Markets in Times of Stress,"
NBER Working Papers
8569, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993.
"“Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors,"
7125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1993. "Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 108-151, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1996.
"Inflows of capital to developing countries in the 1990s,"
13707, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "Inflows of Capital to Developing Countries in the 1990s," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 123-139, Spring.
- Sebastian Edwards, 1995. "Why are Saving Rates so Different Across Countries?: An International Comparative Analysis," NBER Working Papers 5097, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liliana Rojas-Suárez & Steven R. Weisbrod, 1996.
"Building Stability in Latin American Financial Markets,"
5921, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Liliana Rojas-Suárez & Steven R. Weisbrod, 1996. "Building Stability in Latin American Financial Markets," Research Department Publications 4028, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Gian Maria Milesi Ferretti & Assaf Razin, 1999. "3. Current Account Deficits and Capital Flows in East Asia and Latin America: Are the Early Nineties Different From the Early Eighties," NBER Chapters, in: Changes in Exchange Rates in Rapidly Developing Countries: Theory, Practice, and Policy Issues (NBER-EASE volume 7), pages 57-108 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann & Leonardo Leiderman, 1995. "Macroeconomics of Capital Flows to Latin America: Experience and Policy Issues," Research Department Publications 4012, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Junning Cai & Byron Gangnes, 2004. "Open Capital Account: Concrete Wealth or Paper Wealth," International Finance 0401002, EconWPA.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Mohamad L. Hammour, 2002. "Speculative Growth," NBER Working Papers 9381, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Caballero & Emmanuel Farhi & Mohamad L. Hammour, 2004.
"Speculative Growth: Hints from the US Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
10518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcos José Pérez Monteiro & Pedro Cavalcante Ferreira & Leandro Radusweski Quintal, 2014. "The Latin American Saving Gap," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 036, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Masih, Rumi & Peters, Sanjay, 2010. "A revisitation of the savings-growth nexus in Mexico," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(3), pages 318-320, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.