A Health Diagnostic Tool for Public Development Banks
AbstractThis study introduces a diagnostic tool for determining the health of a public development bank. It defines in normative terms what good health looks like across various dimensions, which allows the PDB to delineate how it can improve its overall performance and achieve its financial and developmental goals. Due to the variety of mandates and business models used by PDBs, there is no one definition of what constitutes perfect health for a PDB; nonetheless there are common parameters and features to their overall systems that can be compared against under a flexible and comprehensive framework. The three common parameters of performance identified in the Health Diagnostic Tool are public policy and corporate governance, development impact and financial and operational performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 6398.
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Financial Sector; Fiscal Policy; Financial Services; Governance; Health Diagnostic Tool; Health Diagnostic; Public Development Banks;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-08-29 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei, 2001.
"Government Ownership of Banks,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopezde-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," NBER Working Papers 7620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-deSilanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2000. "Government Ownership of Banks," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1890, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Francisco, Manuela & Mascaro, Yira & Mendoza, Juan Carlos & Yaron, Jacob, 2008. "Measuring the performance and achievement of social objectives of development finance institutions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4506, The World Bank.
- Lev Ratnovski & Aditya Narain, 2007. "Public Financial Institutions in Developed Countries - Organization and Oversight," IMF Working Papers 07/227, International Monetary Fund.
- de Aghion, Beatriz Armendariz, 1999. "Development banking," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 83-100, February.
- Scott, David H., 2007. "Strengthening the governance and performance of state-owned financial institutions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4321, The World Bank.
- Rudolph, Heinz P., 2009. "State financial institutions : mandates, governance, and beyond," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5141, The World Bank.
- de la Torre, Augusto & Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2007. "Innovative experiences in access to finance : market friendly roles for the visible hand ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4326, The World Bank.
- Marcela Eslava & Alessandro Maffioli & Marcela Meléndez Arjona, 2012. "Second-tier Government Banks and Access to Credit: Micro-Evidence from Colombia," IDB Publications 64578, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.