Keeping the Promise of Social Security in Latin America
AbstractEmpirical analysis of two decades of pioneering pension and social security reform in Latin America and the Caribbean shows that much has been achieved, but that critical challenges remain. In tackling this unfinished agenda, a great deal can be learned from the reform experience of countries in the region. 'Keeping the Promise of Social Security in Latin America', produced by the chief economist's office in the Latin America and Caribbean Region at the World Bank, evaluates policy reforms in 12 countries, points to successes and shortcomings, and proposes priorities and options for future reform. The authors argue that preventing poverty in old age should be the primary objective of public pension schemes, and that this goal can best be achieved by relentless efforts to extend coverage to broader segments of society, and by encouraging (though not necessarily mandating) personal saving. This publication belongs to the Latin American Development Forum Series (LADF), sponsored by the Inter-American Development Bank, the United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean, and the World Bank.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 59998.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Social Security; Latin American Development Forum; LADF; pension reform; social security reform; policy reforms; social security system; poverty prevention; pension system;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carmelo Mesa-Lago, 2006. "Private and public pension systems compared: an evaluation of the Latin American experience," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 317-334.
- Alberto Arenas de Mesa & David Bravo & Jere R. Behrman & Olivia S. Mitchell & Petra E. Todd, 2006. "The Chilean Pension Reform Turns 25: Lessons From the Social Protection Survey," NBER Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc 12401, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Esteban & Williamson, John B., 2006. "Old-Age Pension Reform and Modernization Pathways: Lessons for China from Latin America," MPRA Paper, University Library of Munich, Germany 4872, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2007.
- A. Kugler, M. Kugler, 2008.
"Labour Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in Developing Countries: Evidence from Colombia,"
Working Papers, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics
eg0056, Wilfrid Laurier University, Department of Economics, revised 2008.
- Adriana Kugler & Maurice Kugler, 2008. "Labor Market Effects of Payroll Taxes in Developing Countries: Evidence from Colombia," NBER Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc 13855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bertranou, Fabio & Calvo, Esteban & Bertranou, Evelina, 2009.
"Is Latin America retreating from individual retirement accounts?,"
MPRA Paper, University Library of Munich, Germany
17422, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fabio Bertranou & Esteban Calvo & Evelina Bertranou, 2009. "Is Latin America Retreating From Individual Retirement Accounts?," Issues in Brief, Center for Retirement Research ib2009-9-14, Center for Retirement Research, revised Jul 2009.
- Claudio Raddatz & Sergio Schmukler, 2010.
"Pension Funds And Capital Market Development: How Much Bang For The Buck?,"
Working Papers, Superintendencia de Pensiones
38, Superintendencia de Pensiones, revised Feb 2010.
- Raddatz, Claudio & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2008. "Pension Funds And Capital Market Development:How Much Bang For The Buck?," Policy Research Working Paper Series, The World Bank 4787, The World Bank.
- Jorge Roldos, 2007. "Pension Reform and Macroeconomic Stability in Latin America," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 07/108, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo Lora, 2008.
"El futuro de los pactos fiscales en América Latina,"
Research Department Publications, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department
4614, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lora, 2008. "El Futuro de los Pactos Fiscales en América Latina," IDB Publications, Inter-American Development Bank 7653, Inter-American Development Bank.
- András Simonovits, 2006. "Social Security Reform in the US: Lessons from Hungary," IEHAS Discussion Papers, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences 0602, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, revised 24 Apr 2006.
- Benedict J. Clements & Christopher Faircloth & Marijn Verhoeven, 2007. "Public Expenditure in Latin America," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 07/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Anna Zalewska, 2005. "Home bias and stock market development. The Polish experience," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK 05/136, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Schmähl, Winfried, 2007. "Soziale Sicherung im Lebenslauf: finanzielle Aspekte in längerfristiger Perspektive am Beispiel der Alterssicherung in Deutschland," Working papers of the ZeS, University of Bremen, Centre for Social Policy Research (ZeS) 09/2007, University of Bremen, Centre for Social Policy Research (ZeS).
- Appelbaum, Elie & Katz, Eliakim, 1991. "The Demand for Children in the Absence of Capital and Risk Markets: A Portfolio Approach," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(2), pages 292-304, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.