Social Network Analysis Methodologies for the Evaluation of Cluster Development Programs
AbstractCluster development programs (CDPs) have been adopted widely in many countries worldwide. Many such programs aim to promote economic development by forming and strengthening inter-organizational networks. Despite their widespread diffusion, we know very little about CDP outputs or the impact CDPs have on host regions and their populations. Evaluation studies are beginning to appear, but the overall concern is that a distinct evaluation concept and method with a focus on CDPs is not yet available. The objective of this paper is to address this limitation, by proposing a novel methodological approach in the evaluation of CDPs based on the application of concepts and methods of social network analysis (SNA).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 53978.
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Social Development; Economic Development & Growth; Industrial Policy; cluster development programs; policy evaluation; social network analysis;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nishimura, Junichi & Okamuro, Hiroyuki, 2011.
"Subsidy and networking: The effects of direct and indirect support programs of the cluster policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 714-727, June.
- Nishimura, Junichi & Okamuro, Hiroyuki, 2012. "Subsidy and networking: The effects of direct and indirect support programs of the cluster policy," Working Paper Series 22, Center for Interfirm Network, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Paul Winters & Lina Salazar & Alessandro Maffioli, 2010.
"Designing Impact Evaluations for Agricultural Projects,"
SPD Working Papers
1007, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Strategic Planning and Development Effectiveness (SPD).
- Paul Winters & Lina Salazar & Alessandro Maffioli, 2010. "Designing Impact Evaluations for Agricultural Projects," IDB Publications 8378, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2005.
"Upgrading in Global Value Chains: Lessons from Latin American Clusters,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 549-573, April.
- Elisa Giuliani & Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2004. "Upgrading in global value chains: lessons from latin american clusters," Working Papers 72, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Jorge Quiroz, 2007. "Cluster Economics: Elements for Program Evaluation," IDB Publications 42078, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Russo, Margherita & Rossi, Federica, 2008. "Cooperation networks and innovation: A complex system perspective to the analysis and evaluation of a EU regional innovation policy programme," MPRA Paper 10156, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Diego Ubfal & Alessandro Maffioli, 2010.
"The Impact of Funding on Research Collaboration: Evidence from Argentina,"
SPD Working Papers
1006, Inter-American Development Bank, Office of Strategic Planning and Development Effectiveness (SPD).
- Diego Ubfal & Alessandro Maffioli, 2010. "The Impact of Funding on Research Collaboration: Evidence from Argentina," IDB Publications 9395, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Udo Staber, 2001. "The Structure of Networks in Industrial Districts," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3), pages 537-552, 09.
- Cristina Aragón & Mari Jose Aranguren & Cristina Iturrioz & Miren Larrea & Francisco José Olarte, . "A new step in cluster policy evaluation in the Basque Country," Working Papers 200901, Basque Institute of Competitiveness.
- Huggins, Robert, 2001. "Inter-firm network policies and firm performance: evaluating the impact of initiatives in the United Kingdom," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 443-458, March.
- David Dekker & David Krackhardt & Tom Snijders, 2007. "Sensitivity of MRQAP Tests to Collinearity and Autocorrelation Conditions," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 72(4), pages 563-581, December.
- Fromhold-Eisebith, Martina & Eisebith, Gunter, 2005. "How to institutionalize innovative clusters? Comparing explicit top-down and implicit bottom-up approaches," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1250-1268, October.
- Per Lundequist & Dominic Power, 2002. "Putting Porter into Practice? Practices of Regional Cluster Building: Evidence from Sweden," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(6), pages 685-704, September.
- Elisa Giuliani, 2007. "The selective nature of knowledge networks in clusters: evidence from the wine industry," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(2), pages 139-168, March.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Arza, Valeria, 2009. "What drives the formation of 'valuable' university-industry linkages?: Insights from the wine industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 906-921, July.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2003.
"Deconstructing clusters: chaotic concept or policy panacea?,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 5-35, January.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2002. "Deconstructing Clusters: Chaotic Concept or Policy Panacea," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp244, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Bell, Martin, 2005. "The micro-determinants of meso-level learning and innovation: evidence from a Chilean wine cluster," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 47-68, February.
- R. Luce & Albert Perry, 1949. "A method of matrix analysis of group structure," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 95-116, June.
- Garry Robins & Philippa Pattison & Stanley Wasserman, 1999. "Logit models and logistic regressions for social networks: III. Valued relations," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 64(3), pages 371-394, September.
- Freeman, C., 1991. "Networks of innovators: A synthesis of research issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 499-514, October.
- Frank Mcdonald & Qihai Huang & Dimitrios Tsagdis & Heinz Josef Tuselmann, 2007. "Is There Evidence to Support Porter-type Cluster Policies?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 39-49.
- Alessandro Maffioli, 2005. "The Formation of Network and Public Intervention: Theory and Evidence from the Chilean Experience," ISLA Working Papers 23, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised May 2005.
- Elisa Giuliani, 2010. "Network dynamics in regional clusters: The perspective of an emerging economy," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1014, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Oct 2010.
- Uwe Cantner & Holger Graf & Susanne Hinzmann, 2013. "Policy induced innovation networks: the case of the German "Leading-Edge Cluster competition"," Jena Economic Research Papers 2013-008, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Claudia Stevenson, 2011. "Cluster Development Programs in Latin America and the Caribbean: Lessons from the Experience of the Inter-American Development Bank," IDB Publications 53638, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.