Cluster Development Programs in Latin America and the Caribbean: Lessons from the Experience of the Inter-American Development Bank
AbstractNational and local governments, international organizations and donors are increasingly using the instrument of cluster development programs (CDP) to promote economic development. This paper builds on the recent experiences of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) in financing and executing cluster development programs, explores their conceptual approach and actual practice, and learns some preliminary lessons. This preliminary review remarks that CDP offer remarkable development potential, provided that they are consistent with the whole system of private sector development policy support. They represent an important opportunity to remedy the coordination failures that constantly hinder the process of economic development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 53638.
Date of creation: Nov 2011
Date of revision:
Financial Sector; Financial Policy; Economic Development & Growth; cluster development programs; policy evaluation; social network analysis;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elisa Giuliani & Carlo Pietrobelli, 2011. "Social Network Analysis Methodologies for the Evaluation of Cluster Development Programs," IDB Publications 53978, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Dani Rodrik, 2002.
"Economic Development as Self-Discovery,"
NBER Working Papers
8952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "Economic Development as Self-Discovery," Working Paper Series rwp02-023, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "Economic Development as Self Discovery," CEPR Discussion Papers 3356, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Altenburg, Tilman & Meyer-Stamer, JORG, 1999. "How to Promote Clusters: Policy Experiences from Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1693-1713, September.
- Elisa Giuliani & Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2004.
"Upgrading in global value chains: lessons from latin american clusters,"
72, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2005. "Upgrading in Global Value Chains: Lessons from Latin American Clusters," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 549-573, April.
- Rodrik, Dani, 2004.
"Industrial Policy for the Twenty-First Century,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2010.
"Global Value Chains Meet Innovation Systems : Are There Learning Opportunities for Developing Countries?,"
11098, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2011. "Global Value Chains Meet Innovation Systems: Are There Learning Opportunities for Developing Countries?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 1261-1269, July.
- Ann Harrison & Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2009.
"Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
15261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, Ann & Rodríguez-Clare, Andrés, 2010. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy for Developing Countries," Handbook of Development Economics, Elsevier.
- Shahid Yusuf & Kaoru Nabeshima & Shoichi Yamashita, 2008. "Growing Industrial Clusters in Asia : Serendipity and Science," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6429.
- Harrison, Ann E. & Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 2009. "Trade, Foreign Investment, and Industrial Policy," MPRA Paper 15561, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khalid Nadvi, 1999. "The cutting Edge: Collective efficiency and international competitiveness in Pakistan," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 27(1), pages 81-107.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2004. "Upgrading in Clusters and Value Chains in Latin America: The Role of Policies," IDB Publications 40778, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Rasiah, Rajah, 1994. "Flexible Production Systems and Local Machine-Tool Subcontracting: Electronics Components Transnationals in Malaysia," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(3), pages 279-98, June.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.