Electric Power Sector Reform in Latin America and the Caribbean
AbstractThis paper analyzes the technical and economic characteristics of the electricity sector, the special conditions prevailing in the region that determine its development, the main issues that were faced prior to the reform movement, and the status and prospects for sector reform in the region. Based on this diagnostic, the paper proposes a common denominator across countries on the general elements of regulatory policy that are essential to meet the basic objectives of public services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 46878.
Date of creation: Jun 1996
Date of revision:
Public Private Partnerships; Judicial Administration & Legal Reform; Electricity markets; general law; detailed law; price regulation; reform process; energy price; electricity tariffs;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stewart-Smith, Martin C., 1995. "Industry structure and regulation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1419, The World Bank.
- Andres, Luis & Guasch, Jose Luis & Azumendi, Sebastian Lopez, 2008. "Regulatory governance and sector performance : methodology and evaluation for Electricity distribution in Latin America," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4494, The World Bank.
- Andres, Luis & Foster, Vivien & Guasch, Jose Luis, 2006. "The impact of privatization on the performance of the infrastructure sector : the case of electricity distribution in Latin American countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3936, The World Bank.
- Luis A. Andrés & J. Luis Guasch & Thomas Haven & Vivien Foster, 2008. "The Impact of Private Sector Participation in Infrastructure : Lights, Shadows, and the Road Ahead," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6545.
- Escola de Economia da Fundação Getulio Vargas, 2001. "Private Participation in Infrastructure Projects and Determinants of Observed Contractual Arrangements: The Case of Brazil," Research Department Publications 3112, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Estache, Antonio & Rossi, Martin, 2004. "Have consumers benefited from the reforms in the electricity distribution sector in Latin America?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3420, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.