Competition Regimes and Air Transport Costs: The Effects of Open Skies Agreement
AbstractThe relevance of transport costs has increased as liberalization continues to reduce artificial barriers to trade. Is it worthwhile to implement policies designed to increase competition in transport markets? Focusing on air transport, this paper quantifies the effects of liberalization of air cargo markets on transport costs. Between 1990 and 2003, the United States implemented a series of Open Skies Agreements, providing a unique opportunity to assess the effect that a change in the competition regime has on prices. In our sample, Open Skies Agreements reduce air transport costs by 9% and increase by 7% the share of imports arriving by air. Those results hold for developed and upper-middle-income developing countries but for lower-middle-income and low-income developing countries Open Skies Agreements do not reduce. This paper was presented at the Fourth LAEBA Annual Meeting, held in Lima, Peru, on June 17, 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 46738.
Date of creation: Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Integration & Trade; Infrastructure & Transport; LAEBA; Transport costs; Air transport liberalization; Infrastructure; Trade; Regulatory quality; Open Skies Agreements;
Other versions of this item:
- Micco, Alejandro & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2006. "Competition regimes and air transport costs: The effects of open skies agreements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 25-51, September.
- L4 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
- L9 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alejandro Micco & Ernesto Stein & Guillermo OrdoÒez, 2003.
"The currency union effect on trade: early evidence from EMU,"
CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 315-356, October.
- Alejandro Micco & Ernesto H. Stein & Guillermo Luis Ordoñez, 2003. "The Currency Union Effect on Trade: Early Evidence from EMU," Research Department Publications 4339, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2001.
"Trade in international maritime services : how much does policy matter?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2522, The World Bank.
- Carsten Fink & Aaditya Mattoo & Ileana Cristina Neagu, 2002. "Trade in International Maritime Services: How Much Does Policy Matter?," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(1), pages 81-108, June.
- Clark, Ximena & Dollar, David & Micco, Alejandro, 2004.
"Port efficiency, maritime transport costs, and bilateral trade,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 417-450, December.
- Ximena Clark & David Dollar & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Port Efficiency, Maritime Transport Costs and Bilateral Trade," NBER Working Papers 10353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1984. "Testing trade theories and predicting trade flows," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 467-517 Elsevier.
- World Bank, 2010. "Logistics in Argentina : Analysis, Options and Strategies to Overcome Emerging Restrictions," World Bank Other Operational Studies 12553, The World Bank.
- Danielken Molina, 2009. "Elasticity of Substitution in the U.S. Market with Endogenous Transport Costs: a Sectoral Approach," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Blyde, Juan & Molina, Danielken, 2013. "Logistics Infrastructure and the International Location of Fragmented Production," MPRA Paper 45749, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baldwin, Richard & Harrigan, James, 2007.
"Zeros, Quality and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6368, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin & James Harrigan, 2011. "Zeros, Quality, and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 60-88, May.
- Richard Baldwin & James Harrigan, 2007. "Zeros, Quality and Space: Trade Theory and Trade Evidence," NBER Working Papers 13214, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grancay, Martin, 2009. "Evaluating competitiveness of airports - Airport competitiveness index," MPRA Paper 16488, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Grancay, Martin, 2009. "A Brief Genesis of the North Atlantic Air Transport," MPRA Paper 14095, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Henry Vega, 2008. "The Transportation Costs of Fresh Flowers: A Comparison between Ecuador and Major Exporting Countries," IDB Publications 9293, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Lux, Matthias, 2011. "Defying Gravity: The Substitutability of Transportation in International Trade," MPRA Paper 36395, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2012.
- Miren Lafourcade & Jacques-François Thisse, 2008. "New economic geography: A guide to transport analysis," Working Papers halshs-00586878, HAL.
- Mauricio Mesquita Moreira & Paolo Giordano & Antoni Estevadeordal & Tomás Serebrisky & Jordan Schwartz & Ricardo Sánchez & Aiga Stokenberga, 2010. "Nota de Discusión de Politícas: Cómo Reducir Las Brechas de Integración (Escenarios y Recomendaciones de Políticas para Promover la Infraestructura Física y Reducir los Costes del Comercio Intra," IDB Publications 9338, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Danielken Molina, 2008. "Bilateral Transport Cost, Infrastructure, Common Bilateral Ties and Political Stability," REVISTA DE ECONOMÍA DEL ROSARIO, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Henry Vega, 2008. "Transportation Costs of Fresh Flowers: A Comparison across Major Exporting Countries," IDB Publications 48178, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Zhang, Yahua & Findlay, Christopher, 2014. "Air transport policy and its impacts on passenger traffic and tourist flows," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 42-48.
- David L. Hummels & Georg Schaur, 2009.
"Hedging Price Volatility Using Fast Transport,"
NBER Working Papers
15154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clifford Winston, 2013. "On the Performance of the U.S. Transportation System: Caution Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 51(3), pages 773-824, September.
- Piermartini, Roberta & Rousova, Linda, 2009. "Free Sky and Clouds of Restrictions," Discussion Papers in Economics 10944, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.