Upgrading in Clusters and Value Chains in Latin America: The Role of Policies
AbstractThis study focuses on how Latin America¿s small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) can participate in global markets in a way that provides for sustainable growth. In addition, it study analyzes the impact of collective efficiency on clusters upgrading and undertakes an investigation of the impact of different patterns of governance within the chain on the possible forms of upgrading. Concerning the methodology, this three-dimensional analysis is based on the collection of original data from twelve new clusters in Latin America and on an extensive literature review of cluster studies. Finally, this study analyzes the relevance of sectors to take into account the different learning patterns of the groups of industries considered in the typology proposed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 40778.
Date of creation: Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Economics :: Economic Development & Growth; Financial Sector; Private Sector :: Microbusinesses & Microfinance; Private Sector :: SME; economic growth; collective efficicency; small business; case studies; SDS; Micro; small and medium enterprise division; SME; value chains;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lall, Sanjaya, 2001. "Competitiveness Indices and Developing Countries: An Economic Evaluation of the Global Competitiveness Report," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(9), pages 1501-1525, September.
- Stephen Martin & John T. Scott, 1999.
"The Nature of Innovation Market Failure and the Design of Public Support for Private Innovation,"
CIE Discussion Papers
1999-02, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Martin, Stephen & Scott, John T., 2000. "The nature of innovation market failure and the design of public support for private innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 437-447, April.
- Altenburg, Tilman & Meyer-Stamer, JORG, 1999. "How to Promote Clusters: Policy Experiences from Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1693-1713, September.
- Hobday, Mike, 1998. "Product complexity, innovation and industrial organisation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 689-710, February.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1996. "Making Sense of the Competitiveness Debate," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 17-25, Autumn.
- Schmitz, Hubert, 1999. "Global Competition and Local Cooperation: Success and Failure in the Sinos Valley, Brazil," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1627-1650, September.
- Schmitz, Hubert, 1982. "Growth constraints on small-scale manufacturing in developing countries: a critical review," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 429-450, June.
- Nelson, Richard R. & Sampat, Bhaven N., 2001. "Making sense of institutions as a factor shaping economic performance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 31-54, January.
- Adrian Wood & Kersti Berge, 1997. "Exporting manufactures: Human resources, natural resources, and trade policy," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 34(1), pages 35-59.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2002. "How does insertion in global value chains affect upgrading in industrial clusters?," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1017-1027.
- Ulrich, Karl, 1995. "The role of product architecture in the manufacturing firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 419-440, May.
- Roberta Capello, 1999. "Spatial Transfer of Knowledge in High Technology Milieux: Learning Versus Collective Learning Processes," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 33(4), pages 353-365.
- Gabriel Yoguel & Marta Novick & Anabel Marin, 2000. "Production Networks Linkages, Innovation Processes and Social Management Technologies. A Methodological Approach Applied to the Volkswagen case in Argentina," DRUID Working Papers 00-11, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- C. Dolan & J. Humphrey, 2000. "Governance and Trade in Fresh Vegetables: The Impact of UK Supermarkets on the African Horticulture Industry," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 147-176.
- Peres, Wilson & Stumpo, Giovanni, 2000. "Small and Medium-Sized Manufacturing Enterprises in Latin America and the Caribbean Under the New Economic Model," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(9), pages 1643-1655, September.
- Gibbon, Peter, 2001. "Upgrading Primary Production: A Global Commodity Chain Approach," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 345-363, February.
- Echeverria, R.G. & Trigo, E.J. & Byerlee, D., 1996. "Institutional Change and Effective Financing of Agricultural Research in Latin America," Papers 330, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Khalid Nadvi, 1999. "The cutting Edge: Collective efficiency and international competitiveness in Pakistan," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 27(1), pages 81-107.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
- Gereffi, Gary, 1999. "International trade and industrial upgrading in the apparel commodity chain," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-70, June.
- Brenes, Esteban R. & Haar, Jerry & Requena, Bernardo, 2009. "Latin America: Environmental and firm-level challenges," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(9), pages 849-853, September.
- Giuliani, Elisa & Pietrobelli, Carlo & Rabellotti, Roberta, 2005.
"Upgrading in Global Value Chains: Lessons from Latin American Clusters,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 549-573, April.
- Elisa Giuliani & Carlo Pietrobelli & Roberta Rabellotti, 2004. "Upgrading in global value chains: lessons from latin american clusters," Working Papers 72, SEMEQ Department - Faculty of Economics - University of Eastern Piedmont.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Claudia Stevenson, 2011. "Cluster Development Programs in Latin America and the Caribbean: Lessons from the Experience of the Inter-American Development Bank," IDB Publications 53638, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Marchese, Marco & Sakamoto, Akiko, 2008. "Skills development for industrial clusters : a preliminary review: background paper to the Internal Workshop, 22-23 November, 2005, ILO, Geneva," ILO Working Papers 413235, International Labour Organization.
- Chaminade, Cristina & Vang, Jan, 2006. "Globalisation of Knowledge Production and Regional Innovation Policy: Supporting Specialized Hubs in Developing Countries," CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers 2006/15, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Iizuka, Michiko & Borbon-Galvez, Yari, 2009. "Compliance with the private standards and capacity building of national institutions under globalization: new agendas for developing countries?," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 025, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Eva A. Paus & Kevin P. Gallagher, . "06-01 "The Missing Links between Foreign Investment and Development: Lessons from Costa Rica and Mexico"," GDAE Working Papers 06-01, GDAE, Tufts University.
- José A. Borello & Hernán Morhorlang & Diego Silva Failde, 2011. "Agglomeration Economies in Semi-industrialized Countries: Evidence from Argentina," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 3(3), pages 487-518, October.
- Ingrid Fromm, 2007. "Upgrading in Agricultural Value Chains: The Case of Small Producers in Honduras," GIGA Working Paper Series 64, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies.
- Pablo Angelelli & Rebecca Moudry & Juan J. Llisterri, 2006. "Institutional Capacities for Small Business Policy Development in Latin America and the Caribbean," IDB Publications 41558, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Iizuka, Michiko, 2009. "Standards as a platform for innovation and learning in the global economy: a case study of Chilean salmon farming industry," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 004, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Nichter, Simeon & Goldmark, Lara, 2009. "Small Firm Growth in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1453-1464, September.
- Hector Rocha & Raymond Miles, 2009. "A Model of Collaborative Entrepreneurship for a More Humanistic Management," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(3), pages 445-462, September.
- Douglas Zhihua Zeng, 2010. "Building Engines for Growth and Competitiveness in China : Experience with Special Economic Zones and Industrial Clusters," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2501, September.
- World Bank, 2005. "Colombia : Country Economic Memorandum, The Foundations for Competitiveness," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8807, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.