Guidelines of Principles for Effective Regulation and Supervision of Microfinance Operations
AbstractThe primary purpose of this document is to present guidelines of principles for international use that comprise best practices on the topic of regulation and supervision of microfinance operations executed by deposit-taking financial institutions. The first chapter analyzes the relevance of the application of the Core Principles for Effective Banking Supervision, as well as the Basel II principles issued by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision. to microfinance institutions. In the second chapter, a set of recommendations is presented, synthesizing the conclusions from the process developed in this document. This includes preconditions and principles for effective regulation and supervision of microcredit portfolios, as well as for the microfinance institutions. The recommendations aim to facilitate a harmonious development of microfinance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Inter-American Development Bank in its series IDB Publications with number 39178.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Microbusinesses & Microfinance; ASBA Microfinance Regulation; microfinance; microcredit;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joanna Ledgerwood & Victoria White, 2006. "Transforming Microfinance Institutions : Providing Full Financial Services to the Poor," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7086, March.
- Cull , Robert & Demirguc-Kunt , Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2009.
"Does regulatory supervision curtail microfinance profitability and outreach ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4948, The World Bank.
- Cull, Robert & Demirgüç-Kunt, Asli & Morduch, Jonathan, 2011. "Does Regulatory Supervision Curtail Microfinance Profitability and Outreach?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 949-965, June.
- Jeffrey Carmichael & Michael Pomerleano, 2002. "The Development and Regulation of Non-Bank Financial Institutions," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15236, March.
- Khavul, Susanna & Chavez, Helmuth & Bruton, Garry D., 2013. "When institutional change outruns the change agent: The contested terrain of entrepreneurial microfinance for those in poverty," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 30-50.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luis Daniel Martinez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.